Blue Springs, Shelbyville, IN 1st dive in IN

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlaskaDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Mass
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We dove Blue Springs today. This was my first dive in Indiana. The weather was a cool 35F with the water at 54F. Vis was 1-5', with only one fish sighted (a bass). We saw cars, boats, culverts, and a few sunken docks. Despite the site being empty today (we were the only ones there), it seemed like it would be a fun and active place during the summer months. There was a great deal of effort put into all of the shelters, the docks and the overall general upkeep of the place.

Welcome to the neighborhood! Made my first and only Indiana dives in Blue Springs. We had better vis than 5ft, although there were spots it probably dropped to that. My favorite is still Gilboa.

Never been to blue springs. I second Steve on Gilboa. It has a variety factor that very few dive locations in the midwest can match! Vis is usually 20-30ft unless some open water check out divers ("rototillers" as I call them) decide to walk along the bottom. If you're looking for ultimate clarity try diving Summersville Lake in West Virginia. There isn't much beside wet rock there, but the viz can be up to 100ft!!!

Welcome to Indy. I dive blue springs a lot in the summer. I am surprised the vis was only 1-5ft. I have to agree Gilboa is great! I can't wait to dive there again.

Sounds like you at least got to see the fish in BS..all one of them. Ok so there are a few more.
One of the main platforms is being replaced so it is now on the bottom and the new one hangs over it. No idea what they are going to do with the old one.

Did two dives today at Hidden Paradise today. Even though it is shallow I think I would take it over BS..especially for the price.

The KY Piranha Patrol is going to do a Dive & Dine on the first of December if anyone is interested. Not sure if we are going to BS or HD for the dive. Shoot me a PM if interested.

What brought you out our way?

I did two dives at BS this past Monday. The viz is probably down due to lake turnover. The thermocline is pretty much gone now and the quarry water appears to be mixing due to the unusually uniform temperature.

I dove Hidden Paradise today with Wally (crpntr133). It's about 20 minutes or so from Blue Springs.

What brought you out our way?

I did two dives at BS this past Monday. The viz is probably down due to lake turnover. The thermocline is pretty much gone now and the quarry water appears to be mixing due to the unusually uniform temperature.

I dove Hidden Paradise today with Wally (crpntr133). It's about 20 minutes or so from Blue Springs.
How was the viz? I may be heading out this week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom