Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Springs, Shelbyville, IN 1st dive in IN

Registered

Let's go diving!

Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos

Blue Springs, Shelbyville, IN 1st dive in IN

We dove Blue Springs today. This was my first dive in Indiana. The weather was a cool 35F with the water at 54F. Vis was 1-5', with only one fish sighted (a bass). We saw cars, boats, culverts, and a few sunken docks. Despite the site being empty today (we were the only ones there), it seemed like it would be a fun and active place during the summer months. There was a great deal of effort put into all of the shelters, the docks and the overall general upkeep of the place.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Welcome to the neighborhood! Made my first and only Indiana dives in Blue Springs. We had better vis than 5ft, although there were spots it probably dropped to that. My favorite is still Gilboa.
    "A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new." Albert Einstein
    "If stupidity got us into this problem, why can't it get us out?" Will Rogers

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Photos
    Never been to blue springs. I second Steve on Gilboa. It has a variety factor that very few dive locations in the midwest can match! Vis is usually 20-30ft unless some open water check out divers ("rototillers" as I call them) decide to walk along the bottom. If you're looking for ultimate clarity try diving Summersville Lake in West Virginia. There isn't much beside wet rock there, but the viz can be up to 100ft!!!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    50 - 99
    Welcome to Indy. I dive blue springs a lot in the summer. I am surprised the vis was only 1-5ft. I have to agree Gilboa is great! I can't wait to dive there again.

lost, even with a compass

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    Sounds like you at least got to see the fish in BS..all one of them. Ok so there are a few more.
    One of the main platforms is being replaced so it is now on the bottom and the new one hangs over it. No idea what they are going to do with the old one.

Did two dives today at Hidden Paradise today. Even though it is shallow I think I would take it over BS..especially for the price.

The KY Piranha Patrol is going to do a Dive & Dine on the first of December if anyone is interested. Not sure if we are going to BS or HD for the dive. Shoot me a PM if interested.

I have a PhD in Bovinian Excremetology.

"Dive till it hurts, hang till it stops."- Rick Kruzel

Divemaster
    Badge

If I'll dive in Indiana,
    I'll dive anywhere!

Dives
    200 - 499
    What brought you out our way?

I did two dives at BS this past Monday. The viz is probably down due to lake turnover. The thermocline is pretty much gone now and the quarry water appears to be mixing due to the unusually uniform temperature.

I dove Hidden Paradise today with Wally (crpntr133). It's about 20 minutes or so from Blue Springs.
    The views expressed above are simply my opinion and do not necessarily bare any resemblance to the truth. As a matter of fact, they are typically a load of bunk and should be summarily disregarded.

Registered

Let's go diving!

Eagle River, Alaska -> moved to Cape Cod, Massachusetts
    Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Divin'Hoosier View Post
    I'm on an 8 week diving road trip with my man. What fun!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by Divin'Hoosier View Post

I did two dives at BS this past Monday. The viz is probably down due to lake turnover. The thermocline is pretty much gone now and the quarry water appears to be mixing due to the unusually uniform temperature.

I dove Hidden Paradise today with Wally (crpntr133). It's about 20 minutes or so from Blue Springs.
    How was the viz? I may be heading out this week.
    Activity Blog
    It is nothing to die; it is frightful not to live.-Victor Hugo
    Women aren't evil, we're morally challenged. -Pue

Divemaster
    Badge

If I'll dive in Indiana,
    I'll dive anywhere!

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaDiver View Post
    I'm on an 8 week diving road trip with my man. What fun!
    Cool ... enjoy!
    The views expressed above are simply my opinion and do not necessarily bare any resemblance to the truth. As a matter of fact, they are typically a load of bunk and should be summarily disregarded.

Divemaster
    Badge

If I'll dive in Indiana,
    I'll dive anywhere!

Dives
    200 - 499
    Quote Originally Posted by pennypue View Post
    How was the viz? I may be heading out this week.
    It was in the 10-20' range last Monday. Alaska Diver said it was 1-5' today.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast