Blue Springs Quarry flooded out Sat 06-07-2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wolfen42

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
June 07, 2008

If you have any dives schedule at Blue Springs Quarry near Waldron Indiana anytime soon you'll probably want to reschedule.

We were down there this weekend during the heavy rain that happened and the flooding was pretty severe.

The river overflowed and was flowing down over S 600 and down into the upper parking area by the air fill station. At one point the water at the building was up to the top of the picnic table in the pavilion.

Since the rest of the quarry is well below that height...:shakehead:

When we were able to get back in on Saturday to try to get our car (which I had parked up on one of the slopes luckily) the water level on the south end was up at the level of the upper parking area. The north end and south end of the quarry area were submerged under about 8 feet of water. There's at least two portable toilets and a PT cruiser down in there somewhere. Somebodies red Geo Prizm was about 2 meters from the drop off and had some debris washed up against it.

There's going to be a LOT of work involved getting everything back into shape again.

Anyone know the owner? Maybe we can get a group of volunteers together to help out?

There was still a decent flow of water running through into there when we left Saturday so if Indiana gets more rain that red Prizm is probably going to be in danger.

Last edited:
This whole area was hit very hard Saturday. We've had a very, very wet spring and everything is completely saturdated. The area south of Indianapolis and north of Bloomington had 5-11 inches of rain Friday night and Saturday alone. It's just unbelievable.

Thank you for the description of the conditions at BS. It's unfortunate, but it doesn't surprise me.

This whole area was hit very hard Saturday. We've had a very, very wet spring and everything is completely saturdated. The area south of Indianapolis and north of Bloomington had 5-11 inches of rain Friday night and Saturday alone. It's just unbelievable.

Thank you for the description of the conditions at BS. It's unfortunate, but it doesn't surprise me.

Yeah, it sounds like some other areas were hit even worse with the dams breaking and all that.

Ahem... this was supposed to be a post about this weekend. 06-07-2008....

Ahem... this was supposed to be a post about this weekend. 06-07-2008....

For those who may be confused, Wolfen isn't talking crazy. I fixed the date typo in the title :D
Ber :lilbunny:

Zomgosh! she got it fixed before I could hide my crazy mized up date reply!

Wow. I was told that the water level at BS was over 80ft yesterday, so I was supposed to ask if someone has been in BS last weekend. Thanks for sharing info.

I think the red car belongs to BS. :confused:

Gee~~~, as I recall there are more (at least four) than two toilets down there.

Many local roads have been inundated over weekend.

There will be another T-Storm from this afternoon. Crazy....:(

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HAS ISSUED SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING.

* FROM 6 PM EDT THIS EVENING THROUGH LATE TONIGHT

* THUNDERSTORM ACTIVITY IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DEVELOPING LATER TODAY WITH THUNDERSTORMS BECOMING LIKELY TONIGHT. CONDITIONS ARE FAVORABLE FOR SOME STORMS TO PRODUCE HEAVY RAIN...WITH THE POTENTIAL FOR LOCALIZED AMOUNTS IN THE 2 TO 3 INCH RANGE.

* ADDITIONAL RAINFALL WILL SERVE TO EXACERBATE THE ALREADY VERY SERIOUS FLOODING SITUATION ACROSS THE AREA.

Last edited:
Yeah, if it wasn't for the floating toilets and zero visibility you could have picked up a deep dive cert at BSQ this weekend... :)

I don't mind a ZERO vis/mucky water, but a floating/submerged toilets......

Gee~~~ No way!!! :wink:

There was a group from Scuba Unlimited (Blue Ash, OH) there. I was to do cert. dives in my new dry suit. We waiting in the rain for the lightening to stop until about 11am then left to see about lunch and regrouping at 2:30. There was already about 10 inches of water in spots over the "road" to the east entries.

Well, the instructors got to the restaurant and hotel about 2 hours later. Apparently, two cars (OW students?) got flooded getting out of Waldron. Needless to say, the day's dives were cancelled to be tentatively rescheduled for the 21st. Sounds like that might be optimistic.

-Rob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom