Nordmeer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ComputerJoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well folks I heard last month that the shipwreck that is still sticking out of the water isn't any more. Yep the Nordmeer succumed to mother nature after 42 years and is no longer visible on the surface. This was reported by a sailor doing his run out of Alpena this year.

Anyone visiting better make really sure his GPS numbers are correct because she can't be far below the surface.

Love the Nordmeer, dove it with my three boys in 2006. This was a nice entry level wreck dive as the depths were only about 35', decent viz, warm water and still much to see.

I assume that the ship has also broken up further underwater as well?

Nord072506b.jpg NordFish072506a.jpg Boys072506a.jpg

very nice shot of your boys!!

Love the Nordmeer, dove it with my three boys in 2006. This was a nice entry level wreck dive as the depths were only about 35', decent viz, warm water and still much to see.

I assume that the ship has also broken up further underwater as well?

View attachment 74733 View attachment 74734 View attachment 74732

I remember that charter. It was a fun one. I would guess that someone will run into here accidently if they aren't careful. When I was out there, my dive computer barely registered a dive.

It's a shame that it can't be seen on the surface anymore. That was one of the charms of that wreck.

I remember that charter. It was a fun one. I would guess that someone will run into here accidently if they aren't careful. When I was out there, my dive computer barely registered a dive.

It's a shame that it can't be seen on the surface anymore. That was one of the charms of that wreck.

Hey Brian,

Been awhile and yes it was a wonderful day indeed! In fact the day of our visit was my youngest sons 12th birthday as he was first certified when he was 10. Have you dove the Nordmeer since? Curious if it has also broken up below the surface?

I've attached a couple more pics from our visit in 2006 which shows the Nordmeer above the surface in the background.

BrianTH072506.jpg Brian072506.jpg

Bummer, that is a great dive. I'm glad I got to dive it while it was still out of the water. Here's a link to images I took diving in Thunder Bay in '07. Sorry I can't link directly to the Nordmeer photos. It's a shame as I really wanted to get back on that wreck before she went under for good.

Hey Brian,

Been awhile and yes it was a wonderful day indeed! In fact the day of our visit was my youngest sons 12th birthday as he was first certified when he was 10. Have you dove the Nordmeer since? Curious if it has also broken up below the surface?

I've attached a couple more pics from our visit in 2006 which shows the Nordmeer above the surface in the background.

View attachment 74763 View attachment 74764

I haven't been out there since, so I couldn't tell you the condition of the wreck for certain. I am guessing that the ice in the winter has treated it as harshly as the ice treats many shallow wrecks in the Great Lakes.

I am glad to have shared in your youngest son's birthday and a lovely day on the lake.

Back
Top Bottom