Spring 2013 - Ann Arbor 5?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KD8NPB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm trying to get a group together for Spring of 2013.

We will be diving the Ann Arbor 5. It is a DEEP wreck located off of South Haven, MI.
MSRA - The wreck of the Ann Arbor no. 5

The chartering vessel will be the Elsie J., a historic 1945 tug-trawler.
[video=youtube;4ESE_I9YCLI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ESE_I9YCLI [/video]
(Video of the ship, on the way to the Rockaway shipwreck).

Tentative cost is $125, although I'll see if I can negotiate a discounted rate for a larger group. The captain holds a USCG Master license and is a PADI instructor.

The stern pokes into the the 130 ft recreational limit, although the lake floor is about 165 ft or so.

If you don't know much about the Ann Arbor 5 or the other rail freighters that used to be a common sight on lake Michigan, read up! They're quite impressive.

PM me your name / phone / email if you'd like to be put on the list.

I'm interested along with several buddies. PM sent with info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm very intrigued! What's your time frame?

The dive will likely take place in mid-to-late Spring. Expect a surface water temperature around 48F. It will be a sunday, and we will begin loading the boat at about 10:30 am. If you are quick at loading your gear into the boat, you can leave time to watch the captain do the 10 minute 180 step starting process to roll over that old 3-cyl Kahlenberg 2-stroke diesel... it has a lot of manual oilers on it!

We will be on top of the wreck around 12:30 or so.

Also, when you send me a PM, please note if you will be doing this as a planned deco dive, or a no-deco bounce dive. Any gasses other than air, you will need to purchase ahead of time. The nearest shops that can handle that are in Battle Creek and Holland.

Single day of diving? Double dip on a single day?

I'd vote for a double dip. Is there space on the boat for multiple sets of doubles? I'd like to look around a bit.

Single day of diving? Double dip on a single day?
I'd vote for a double dip. Is there space on the boat for multiple sets of doubles? I'd like to look around a bit.

The easiest wreck to hit up without incurring a heavy additional fuel charge would be the Rockaway. It is a 107 ft schooner that sank in 1891. Its approximate depth is about 70 ft.

There are more pictures of the charter boat available on http://www.jensencharters.com/. There is a compartment forward of the rear platform area that has quite a bit of flat floor space.

You will be pleased to know that the swim platform is made entirely of welded plate steel. The ladder is welded and made of thick steel tube. The easiest way to enter the water is to do a back roll off the side. When we are anchored, an extended length tag line will be deployed. It is made of thick, buoyant rope and is several hundred feet long. It has several little buoys attached to it as well. There are no hang bars unfortunately, but the anchor line is extremely thick and easy to hold on to. There is a bathroom onboard.

There will be beverages available post-dive, as well as hot chocolate... I'll even bring marshmellows and cayenne pepper! If you haven't had hot chocolate with a dash of cayenne pepper in it, you haven't lived.

That boat is cool!! I've never seen one like it recommissioned for diving.

Back
Top Bottom