Port Sanilac, MI best wrecks and recent temps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flipperJC

Reaction score
Going this next weekend, what are the best wrecks and how about some temps? I am already planning on going dry...

Thanks in advance!

Who are you chartering with? There are several good operations in the area. Gary Venet with Rec&Tec is one of them and he has a good website highlighting the wrecks in the area. http://www.rectecdivecharters.com/

I haven't been in the area recently and thus can't comment on the temp. Although Huron isn't known as one of the colder Great Lakes.

Paula

Looking at your profile my advice is:

Talk to Gary and see where he is willing to take his boat (and it is a beauty). You should be fine to do most of the wrecks out there if your experience is in cold water.

I personally this year have been on the Regina several times, the Colonel Williams, the Mary Alice B. and the Sport. The first three are recommended (Ok, the Regina is only recommended if you like turtle wrecks and looking that debris that spilled from the wreck.) I can't speak for recent water temps as my last diving (last weekend/week) was in Brockville, ONT. and Lake Champlain (Vermont) but I am sure that several of the other GLWC members can pitch in that info.

flipperJC:
Going this next weekend, what are the best wrecks and how about some temps? I am already planning on going dry...

Thanks in advance!

Couple of weeks ago, the bottom temps at Harbor Beach (about 30 miles north of Sanilac) were in 41 to 45F range. Termocline started at around 60 ft (i think - can't remember for sure) and above termocline temps were in high 50s.

I have only done 4 wrecks in Sanilac and would highly recommend Northern Star, New York and C. Williams. Some pics from Sanilac are below - stroll down to the end of the page:

Lake Huron

I was on the Mary Alice B. (85ft) two weeks ago, and my buddy's computer recorded 47'F. I'm not sure if that's an average or the low (mine recorded 50'F and I know it's the average). There was no mistaking the thermocline, it's a big temperature difference. I wore a drysuit with T100 underwear, and was comfortable. Some others on the boat wore 7mm wetsuits.

I've done the Mary Alice B, Col Williams, Regina, and Strong. I'd recommend the first 3.

-Ray

did the regina, col. williams, chakotah, and one more--- THey were great! The computer read 37 on the Chakotah... it was chilly!

Thanks for all of the great input--- you were right- Gary gets high recommendation from me-- the most organized operation I have seen.

JC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom