Great Lakes Charter boat doubles diving question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bnscherm

Registered
Reaction score
This is a multi-part question, and thanks in advance for everyone's help.

I do most of my diving in the Great Lakes and inland lakes of Michigan. I'm interested in diving some of the better (more advanced) wrecks in the area, but still plan to stay within the recreational limits until I get further training. However, many of the wrecks I'm interested in diving are in that 80 to 140 ffw, and are what I would consider "deep" relative to my current experience. I'm currently using a SS BP/W setup with an aluminum neutral 80, 7mm suit and I'm tossing around the idea of getting another neutral 80 for my first doubles rig. Since they are realtively cheap and can easily be sold if I ever go dry and want to get some bigger steel tanks. Although I don't get cold easily and really haven't felt the need for it even after repetitive Lake Superior dives in May. (Watch out for those ice covered rocks :)

For the time being my usual dive partner would be using a standard aluminum 80 or maybe a rental aluminum 100 for the dives we plan on doing. We're both certified Nitrox divers and I'm sure that will be a tool we'll use on some of these dives to improve bottom time where applicable. The reasons I'm thinking of getting into doubles is (like everyone) to improve bottom time, as well as add redundancy with dual first stages and gas supply. My thought is that I can do two dives with this setup on one air fill with my buddy swapping out tanks in between, and be much more safe this way on these "deeper" wrecks. My thinking here is that if my dive buddy and I generally exit the water with let's say 20 cuft of gas left when diving aluminum 80s that when I use the double setup and we exit the water at the same time this gas is not "wasted" but will be added to the available gas for the next dive. And since my buddy will only be using a standard 80 it seems like this would be a good way to get into diving doubles since it will be less likely for me to push the NDL unintentionally since my buddy will be getting low on air and remind me that it is time to start heading up.

My other thought is that there may be times when I do not have the luxury of diving with my usual buddy on some of the charters if he is not available for the weekend. That way, when I pair up with some random diver at the dock for the charter (Does this happen very often?) I will not have to put as much faith in him that he will be there when I need him since I have some of the redundancy that I mentioned earlier (and the other diver might be a fruitcake that doesn't pay attention).

Again thanks for the insights

Please don't turn this into a thread that scrutinizes the good dive buddy as being a necessary piece of equipment.

I'm also thinking about teaching myself how to do decompression dives with this setup. I mean all you really have to do is wait until your computer tells you what to do, right?

Bnscherm:
I'm also thinking about teaching myself how to do decompression dives with this setup. I mean all you really have to do is wait until your computer tells you what to do, right?

I'm hoping this has been an April Fool's joke.

If not, you and your buddy are just kicking Death in the b*****s and begging him to pay you a visit.

First, about the computer: A lot of computers will tell you to make a deco stop if you accidentally exceed the NDL limits, but learning to do deco dives by waiting for your computer to complain is like learning to drive by stepping on the gas until the airbag deploys. It's an emergency feature, not a planning tool.

You want to dive deep wrecks, teach yourself deco diving with doubles, while your buddy has a single AL80, and you're worried about picking a "fruitcake" for a buddy at a dock somewhere?

Terry

lol, you were right. I was just trying to aggrevate some people into giving me a response. April fools.

Prior to all this April fools crap I think Bnscherm was originaly asking if people make repitive dives on their doubles setup.

I thought it was good for a chuckle.

Do you have a computer that flashes,

"DIE, DIE, DIE sucker!!!!"?????

I've got one that can say "RBT 0" and then show a 15 minute manditory stop. :cool:

Terry

pennypue:
I thought it was good for a chuckle.

Do you have a computer that flashes,

"DIE, DIE, DIE sucker!!!!"?????

wolves64t:
Prior to all this April fools crap I think Bnscherm was originaly asking if people make repitive dives on their doubles setup.

I have seen a couple of times divers make repetitive dives on doubles. they are members of this forum maybe they will speak up in a bit. On another note I hope the original thread was an April fools joke. I was starting to get a little worried for the guy while reading it. Then worried for myself that he would be the fruit cake I get buddied up with on the dock.

gtxl1200:
I have seen a couple of times divers make repetitive dives on doubles. they are members of this forum maybe they will speak up in a bit. On another note I hope the original thread was an April fools joke. I was starting to get a little worried for the guy while reading it. Then worried for myself that he would be the fruit cake I get buddied up with on the dock.

I do it all of the time. I normally dive dual HP100's with a stage. That gives me more than enough gas to do two boat dives without having to deal with tank changeouts on a rocking boat and also allows me redundancy to deal with potential freeflows on my regs.

One note: if you plan to dive doubles, please get the training to rig the things right or they can easily turn into an entanglement hazard where you can't find what you need when you need it.

Good April Fool's joke near the front.

I do repetitive dives with doubles from boats as well, although I have LP98's, so I'm starting out with a little more gas. It's nice not to have to swap out tanks between dives, although it's more of a pain in the back having to carry doubles.

In theory, I think the redundancy is better, but if you rely on your buddy's to let you know when you have to ascend from your first dive, then you might cut your second dive short if you have a much higher sac rate than your buddy and/or your buddy has two 100's.

If you show up single and swap buddies between dives, you might have a completely different profile from your new buddy, so again relying on your buddy to ascend at the right time is more risky.

I would recommend using your SAC rate (and your buddy's) to figure out how long/how deep you can stay to give you some comfort with the dives. Just check your SPG between dives to plan your next dive.

The bottom line is that the redundancy is better, but don't lulled into a false sense of security.

As far as diving with new buddies, it does happen, although it's not always the best situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom