Looking for midwest locations for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Double C

Reaction score
Hiya,

My son and I are just finishing our certification, we have our open water tests left, waiting for it to warm up...
I am looking for midwest locations to do some diving such as in Minnesota, Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska... we only get to go where its warm about twice a year and are curios if anyone knows of a web site or listing of popular midwest dive sites??

Thanks for the help,

Double C

CC & son,

Welcome to the board, there are several divers on this board from your area. As to the primere dive spots in your area, maybe they can help. But I do know there are some really neat spots in Missouri. Will be doing some diving there myself in the near future.

Glad to have you here and don't be shy or reserved, nobody else is.

ID

Hi, Double C,
I don't know where you're close to, but you might try visiting the Bontaire Mines south of St. Louis for a start. I was there once to get air, we were diving some springs in the area, but didn't get a chance to dive the mine. It's supposed to be really good. I'm from Nebraska and haven't gotten back to try the mines so I don't know for sure. Hope you guys have a great time diving.
GetWet (whenever possible)

Hi Double C,
If you want to E-mail me, I can give you some more ideas for dive sites around here. It's going to be cold for a while yet though. Of course, not everybody is a pansy like me, but I don't have a drysuit so I have to wait until the ice is off before I dive. Hope you guys have fun.
----------------
GetWet(whenever possible)

Hello CC and Son,

I enjoy diving Lake Superior. It is the clearest water in the area. There are good intact shipwrecks at Isle Royale.
I take people out diving on my boat, check out my site at SuperiorExplorers.com We also spend time searching for new wrecks with sonar and magnetometer.

Many quarries used to be a good place to dive, but so many of them are being closed to divers.
Have fun,
Roche'

Gerb,
Great link. I would like to hear your first hand experience with diving there. What months have you been there, and how good is the visability?
Thanks from Chicago.
:sunny:

Back
Top Bottom