Cuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

barfly

New
Reaction score
Myself and about 20 characters from a dive shop in Canada are going to Cuba Oct. 29 for a week. One of the instructors coming on the trip is a Cuban, and ensures to be a great dive guide. We will be in Varadero, and are taking one day to go to Bay Of Pigs for dives. I have a great Lonely Planet guide to diving and snorkeling in Cuba, but it is still somewhat very general. If anyone out there is from the area or has had extensive experience in the area, I'd love to know about any cool things you've seen or done. I heard there was a pool where you can pay swim with donphins for a few minutes. Anyone heard about that?
Regards,
Jason D. Scott

Well you picked one of the most beautiful beaches in Cuba. Playa La Varadero is wonderful. There are many great divemasters in Cuba as well as a couple of dive shops. I suggest you go to http://www.cuba.com (yes they have a web site), there you will find a great deal of information about diving in Cuba.

Good luck and enjoy.

I went to Guardalavaca last April and swam with the dolphins at the local aquarium. It was very nice (I grew up watching Flipper). You have to be aware that the dolphins are trained, you have to wear a vest and 15 minutes is not long at all. I'm going back to Cuba in January (Cayo Coco) and I plan on going scuba diving there.
Hope you have a nice trip!

Check this site: http://www.cuba.tc/!CubaScubaE.html

Thanks Foxy!
I leave in one week and I'm really excited. It's been about 4 years since my last warm vacation, and as a Sagitarius (the traveling type), you can see how much I need this. =)
Can you give me more detail about the dolphin dive? I'd like to know how long you get, are you alone with them or in a group, how much does it cost in US $, do you feed them, are you above water or submerged with gear on, etc?
I'd REALLY appreciate it. Do you know of a website that advertises it? I am stil trying to find one. I am enjoying the Scubs Cuba site link you sent me, as it stands. Thanks!

The dolphin swim was above water (you have to wear a vest) with a group of about 8 people including a trainer. It wasn't exactly what I had wished for but it was nice to see the dolphins up close and to be able to touch them. It cost around 50$US including a lobster dinner!

Sorry, but I don't know any web site on the subject.

When you get back, tell us about the dives in Varadero.

See ya,

Back
Top Bottom