Thinking Cuba, need ideas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chauncy19

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thinking of diving in Cuba next year. Where to go? Live aboard? Most interested in Marine life not wrecks or plegics necessarily. appreciate any thoughts. thinking I have to fly from Mexico or Canada . No political views needed.
thanks in advance for your inputs!

I've been trying for two years. There are groups going already but few that are admitting single (out of group) divers. Try contacting Ocean Doctor here. They haven't been a great help for me personally but perhaps they will satisfy your needs.

Not sure if this is what tajkd is referring to, but is there anything available for divers under the "people-to-people" visits that are now being allowed? Even with the relaxed restrictions that allow "people-to-people" visits, it's still difficult and expensive for US persons to legally visit Cuba. From what I've seen, the "people-to-people" cultural exchange tours have all been land based.

Not sure if this is what tajkd is referring to, but is there anything available for divers under the "people-to-people" visits that are now being allowed? Even with the relaxed restrictions that allow "people-to-people" visits, it's still difficult and expensive for US persons to legally visit Cuba. From what I've seen, the "people-to-people" cultural exchange tours have all been land based.

This one has a cultural exchange, conservation education on land, and then a week on a live-aboard.

This one has a cultural exchange, conservation education on land, and then a week on a live-aboard.

And you still haven't been successful getting a place? Sheesh!

thanks for the information. I am curious though about people who have traveled to Cuba, their experience and any of their recommendations about diving, where to go, and where to stay. I figure I am on my own about getting there.
appreciate the above link though.

And you still haven't been successful getting a place? Sheesh!

Bottom line is that this operator is booking with clubs to fill three! boats on this trip. Many folks have already gone. I am a single and they have not admitted any single divers to my knowledge. I'm apparently on a waiting list but the communication is sketchy at best. It could be from either the US agent Ocean Doctor or from the Cuba side. Do me a favor - don't rub it in. I am still dying to go.

Bottom line is that this operator is booking with clubs to fill three! boats on this trip. Many folks have already gone. I am a single and they have not admitted any single divers to my knowledge. I'm apparently on a waiting list but the communication is sketchy at best. It could be from either the US agent Ocean Doctor or from the Cuba side. Do me a favor - don't rub it in. I am still dying to go.

Well, there's always the illicit way for an American to dive in Cuba, though perhaps that means forgoing a liveaboard, and also I would never advocate breaking the law on a public forum. Speaking hypothetically, if an American were not concerned with the legalities of his visit, are there other liveaboard options in Cuba?

Well, there's always the illicit way for an American to dive in Cuba, though perhaps that means forgoing a liveaboard, and also I would never advocate breaking the law on a public forum. Speaking hypothetically, if an American were not concerned with the legalities of his visit, are there other liveaboard options in Cuba?

There seem to be only two that I see online but who knows what the future holds. The organization working with Ocean Doctor has three boats. That should satisfy a whole bunch of divers.

Fly out of Toronto or better yet Montreal. You can pickup a flight and accommodationsdeal to Cayo Largo on the Caribbean side of the island. This is suppose to be Cuba's scuba mecca.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom