Puerto Rico shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jgrogan81

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will be spending about a month in Puerto Rico beginning mid-January. I'll be there working, so my dives will have to fit in my work schedule. For trips like this having some good shore diving locations really helps me maximize my free time. I'll just have a couple of tanks and my gear in the trunk, and when I'm able I'll swing in and get a dive in.

In light of all of that, I was hoping to get some info from those who have spent significant time, or lived on the island as to what some half decent and easy access shore dives might be. I'll be working in San Juan, and staying in Isla Verde. I know those aren't the ideal locations, but is there ANY decent reef to dive around there? If not what are my nearest, and best bets?
Thanks in advance!

Where in Peurto Rico will you be? I believe the north side is different from the south side.

Shore Diving in San Juan area is OK but not up to par w the rest of the Carribean. The sites mentioned are good for training. The Best shore diving is in the West Side. Aguadilla - Crash boat, Rompe Olas, Isabella - Caverns and Pass throughs and Rincon. Check this website. WWW.divewestpr.com. I am Puerto Rican so PM is you need specifics... Enjoy my island

Shore diving is a challenge in Puerto Rico. As Gino said, Crashboat might work for you (though I have not done it myself). Aguadilla is pretty far away (well, ok, maybe 1.5-2 hours). If you are open to boat diving, Fajardo is now less than one hour away from you with the new extension to the 66 tollway. Seaventures (Scuba Diving Puerto Rico's Caribbean with Sea Ventures Dive Centers - Fajardo & Palmas del Mar in Humacao, Puerto Rico) is based there and does a great job. I know that's more expensive than pure shore diving but you get the benefit of all the equipment and all their experience. Even if you can only do one trip with them it would be worth it. Visibility can be hit or miss in the Fajardo area but they also do a day trip from time further out which might be nice. Depends on your time and your funds. Seaventures is a good operation.

I'm going to San Juan mid august, just relaxing w family. I plan to hit the shire but not drive east or west. I'm looking forward to it. I use to work at kik in Hampton :)

Back
Top Bottom