Diving in Dominican Republic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Morey

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello! Has anyone dived in Dominican Republic? Is so, how is the dive there? And which are the best spots? I will be there on April for 3 weeks with some friends and what we want to do is basically dive and relax...
any advise about diving there?

thank you

The best diving is on the south coast near the village of Bayahibe. There are some excellent reefs, a beautiful wall dive (off Catalina Island) and a really cool shipwreck (an old Russian freighter...The St. George). I strongly recommend you contact ScubaFun to arrange your dives. I have used them 3 times now and have always been impressed with their boats and staff. The owner, John, is a great guy completely focused on customer service. Message me if you need any more information.

Bob (Toronto)

I dove there back in 2010, I wasn't too impressed... it was in Sosua Bay but I may have been diving in the wrong area :)

Excellent dive shop in Sosua called Northern Coast. British owned & run. I've used them three times and have been very satisfied. Modern, clean, and safe. The local reefs off Sosua and Puerto Plata are just a few minutes' boat ride and are very lively. Swim-throughs, etc. Current/wave activity can be strong, so expect a lot of back & forth. They also take divers to a lagoon called Rio San Juan, which is a longer drive that includes lunch in a local place. Good viz diving, and PLENTY of fun stuff to do when you're on the hill. Recommended.

I second Dhboner opinion. Just do yourself a favor and do not stay at Sunscape Casa Delmar. Opt for Iberostar, a bit further but folks from scubafun will pick you up, store your gear from day to day so that is not an issue. Have fun.

Peter

I second Dhboner opinion. folks from scubafun will pick you up, store your gear from day to day so that is not an issue. Have fun.
Peter

Bob and Peter,

We're going to be at the Iberostar in a couple months and plan to probably dive just a few days with Dressel. People seem to like Dressel, plus it's very convenient to use an on-site op.

What's the advantage of ScubaFun, even if they'll pick us up at the Dressel dock. (Will they?)

Ron

Dressel is a big operation who specialize in taking groups from large all inclusive resorts. They tend to keep dive times to around 45 minutes regardless of your remaining air or NDL's. You may be on a big boat with a lot of other divers and there may be snorkelers on board as well. ScubaFun will send you out with divers of similar ability and you will dive your profile. Once the diving is done you will toast the day with a "Scuba Libre"

Yep, you were diving the wrong area. If you come back head North to Samana Peninsula and enjoy The Tower, (usual vis around 50 metres) Tibisi 1 and 2 (usual vis around 50 metres) plus caverns, reefs in fact something for everyone!

---------- Post added May 23rd, 2014 at 11:15 AM ----------

sorry I missed this post really hope you made it to the Samana Peninsula where some of the best dive sites are. Let us know how your trip went please

We dove Dressel Divers in Playa del Carmen and they were fine. Since they seem to be co-located with Iberostar resorts, Dressel seems to be geared toward the once-in-a-while diver, someone who likes to dive but isn't what I'd call serious about diving. That being said, the DMs were great, the boats were fine, no complaints at all. As a DM (or advanced diver) I just don't need all the attention they were giving me, felt a little like they were being mother hens.

Back
Top Bottom