Dominican Republic Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFhamilton87

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys and gals. It's been quite a long time since I've posted on SB. Me and my fiance will be getting married on September 20th of this year, and will be arriving for our honeymoon in the DR on September 22nd. We will be on the island for 7 days in Punta Cana. My fiance unfortunately does not dive, and has no want to learn(not for lack of trying on my end hehe). My questions are... what SCUBA operators are good and reputable that you can suggest for me to look into, and what excursions/tours around that area would you suggest that we go do(Does not have to be scuba based).

Thank you in Advance for your help!

Drew

The diving in Punt Cana is not very good. If you have the opportunity make the trip to the south coast to the village of Bayahibe (near La Romana). The diving down there is actually very good. If you do make the trip I heartedly recommend ScubaFun...best operator there.

The diving in Punt Cana is not very good. If you have the opportunity make the trip to the south coast to the village of Bayahibe (near La Romana). The diving down there is actually very good. If you do make the trip I heartedly recommend ScubaFun...best operator there.

Yes, go to Bayahibe the diving is good there... Not to far away now with the highway

Where exactly are you staying? (Tour operators tend to market all kinds of places as "Punta Cana" even though it really is somewhere else)

I shot this while diving in Bayahibe (Catalina Island) on 2-21-14

[video=youtube;i078s8FyB0U]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i078s8FyB0U&list=UUPdHauWrnKdHjwh_XJ5kntw& feature=c4-overview[/video]

Your Punta Cana resort will no-doubt make it super-easy to line up a convenient dive trip. I was all concerned about it before I went. We dove with SubAquatic. (I tried to line something up with ScubaFun, but the travel expenses ($70 each way) made it impossible. Have fun!

Where exactly are you staying? (Tour operators tend to market all kinds of places as "Punta Cana" even though it really is somewhere else)

We will be staying at the Dreams Resort Punta Cana.

+1 for the boat trip from Bayahibe to Isla Catalina.

When we went (a number of years ago now) our resort's in-house dive service (Dressel) coordinated this excursion once or twice a week. Don't really have an opinion about Dressel one way or another, but the boat trip was really nice.

The bus trip to Bayahibe should be nice and quick too, now that there's a highway. It was long and slow in the old days.

The bus trip to Bayahibe should be nice and quick too, now that there's a highway. It was long and slow in the old days.

The bus was actually pretty enjoyable. It was comfortable, took less than an hour and provided some nice sightseeing.

I am headed to Punta Cana the first week of July with a group of 4 couples (unfortunately, I am the only diver). We are staying at Excellence Punta Cana, which apparently does not have an in-house dive op. Can anyone give me any recommendations on how to get to Bayahibe? Is this something that I should arrange with a dive shop in Punta Cana, or should I try to get myself to Bayahibe or La Romana on my own, and find a dive shop there?

Also, is it worth diving at all in Punta Cana? All reports make it seem like the diving there if pretty much worthless.

Thanks,

AE

+1 for ScubaFun. John, the owner, is American and runs a great shop. If you're up to it they visit a great wreck at about 125'. Rather short dive, but well worth the time.

Back
Top Bottom