Where to dive in Puerto Rico, September 2014?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vidrineb

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

My partner and I are taking a cruise out of San Juan and I've arranged to have a week on the end in Puerto Rico and do not know where to go. The cruise ends August 30th and we're hanging around the island until September 7th. Any suggestions on where to stay and who to dive with? I've currently got a hotel booked in San Juan for the days we're staying there but don't know if there will be the best diving available while staying in SJ. I'm expecting to cancel that hotel reservation once I find out were to head to for the best diving. Any input would be greatly appreciated! I'm just beginning to do my research but any pointers in the right direction would be helpful.

Thanks in Advance,
Brandon

Hey guys,

The cruise ends August 30th and we're hanging around the island until September 7th.

Thanks in Advance,
Brandon

This isn't a great time to be travelling in PR (from experience) the tourist season ends abruptly at the labour day weekend. Most places start to close up, do maintenance/repairs. Also to close down the season before bad weather kicks in for the winter.

I found it very easy to stay/travel the two weeks before labour day, but the week after was not enjoyable.

If you want to go anywhere, do anything, stay anywhere, book it sooner than later!

Having said that, I'd suggest renting a car and head down to La Paguerra in the south and dive down there. I've enjoyed diving with Kiko at Paradise Scuba. (I've dove off of Culebra, Fajardo, and Ricon. Best overall dives are south off of the wall. Ricon was great for diving around Desecheo, definitely being a camera. Lots of light and variety of species)

Lots of land things to do on the way down as well. If its a weekend, do grab some Le Cheung (BBQ Pork). Do some hiking, see some of the cities (Old San Juan, Ponce, etc) and whatever tickles your fancy.

BRad

Wherever the hurricanes are NOT.....lol......being from Lafayette, you know what I'm talking about...:)

If u want to see the best diving in PR u need to head to the Southwest of the Island. Ponce, Guanica, Parguera, Mayaguez, Rincon, Desecheo, Aguadilla are some if the areas you need to look to dive. In Ponce I reccomend Jesus Morales if Blue Water Scuba. Ponce us a big city so you will find mayor hotel chains there. ( Hilton, Howard Johnson, Ramada). In Guanica, Pedro Padilla of Island Scuba. Plays Santa us a small fishing village ( like Parguera) There is some Beach house rentals. Pedro has a deal w Villa Bonita a local B&B. There is a major hotel about 3 miles. Cops Marina Beach Resort ( expensive but they have their own dive op which I can't recommended as I've never dive w them) . In Paguera, Kiko w Paradise Snorkeling and Dive Center. Parguera has a couple if small inns you can stay, Kiki can help u. In Mayaguez, Papo Braulio w the Dive Shop-Puerto Rico. Mayagyez us hidden jem few dive because in unknown by many. Rincon and Aguadilla offer many shore diving. Check out Rincon Snorkeling and Dive Center and José Rafolds if Aquatic a Dive and Surf in Aguadilla. Trip Advisor us a good source to find lodging in any area of PR. For Land activities check Puerto Rico Day trips website. If need more info send me a PM and I will do my best to help u out.

Hey guys,

Sorry I got a bit busy and haven't logged on to check replies since I posted! I do realize that september isn't the most opportune time to visit Puerto Rico but we're going to be there for the cruise anyway and I've got to stay out of the continental US for a bit due to tax purposes so have to hang around an extra week! If it comes down to it we don't have to dive because we're going to get our fill of diving on a two month trip to Bali starting at the end of September where we're going get our Divemaster training done! I just want to do a couple dives while in PR if possible since I've never been and I like to try to make some bubbles everywhere new I go! :p

I'll try to get in contact with some of the dive operators in the south west and see if they'll have anything still going on for that first week of September. Will probably be spending most of the time doing land activities anyway, so we'll see!

Thank for the input guys!

And Diver 85, I've been avoiding those hurricanes since 2006 I dont think I've spent more than three months total in Louisiana in the past 8 years XD still call it home though :p and do miss the food!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom