Puerto Rico Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Topsailsun

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My fiance and I will have a 1 night stop (about 26 total hours) in Puerto Rico on the way back from our honeymoon in Dominica. We unfortunately won't have time to dive, but we'd love to do some snorkeling if there is any good snorkeling in the area or visit some cultural sites. Can anyone give any good recommendations?

Also, we'd love suggestions on hotels. What places have you liked? Ideally, we'd want something not too far from the airport (a taxi ride that won't cost an arm and a leg) that would be within walking distance of good snorkeling, but we'd be glad to make lots of compromises on that vision for convenience and budget.

The only thing we have decided to do with this lay over period is do a kayaking tour on one of the biobays. We'd also gladly take suggestions on companies for that too.

Basically, we have a little over 24 hours to play around and I'd love to hear what you would do with that time.

+1 for the bio bay it was awesome but i recommend you make arrangements in advance because it gets very busy. As far as snorkling i dont know but i was very dissapointed with the diving

Puerto Rico is a beautiful island. I wish you had more time to spend there. I've been going there each year for the past 10 years and absolutely love it.

Since you mentioned taxi fare and proximity to the airport, I am assuming you do not want to rent a car. My favorite hotel (albeit a little expensive) is the Marriott in Condado. Condado is one of the main tourist areas and has lots of good restaurants and a great beach and health club. It's a great place to base yourself.

You will not find great snorkeling near the airport. Fajardo is about an hour away and has the bioluminescent bay but for a 24 hour trip it's not how I would spend my time.

I'd take a cab to Old San Juan. It's maybe 10-15 minutes away from the Marriott. It's a beautiful historic area. Yes, it has touristy stuff but it's a lot of fun to walk up and down the streets. There are also two forts in the area that are run by the Park Service. If you're into history, it's definitely worth it. There are also several museums, such as the Pablo Casals house. Walk down to the vendor area by the lower public parking lot and get a cup of mavi, the local version of root beer. Old San Juan is something you should see if you've never been there.

If you'd rather not get into a cab, you're about a 20-30 minute walk from the hotel to the Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico, a great museum (do not go to the Museo de Arte Contemporaneo - I've been disappointed each time). Also, spend some time on the beach at the Marriott. The beach and pool are fantastic.. For dinner, go to Casa Lola. They have great sangria. Or, if you'd like a Cuban option, go to Yerba Buena.

I love Puerto Rico. It's mishmash of Caribbean flavor and a number of mainland conveniences.

Thank you so much for all the suggestions! I've looked into the Marriot, and unfortunately it's a little more expensive than I had budgeted for. Right now we are looking at The Radisson Ambassador Plaza Hotel (which I believe it right down the road from the Marriott), the Beach House Hotel and Hosteria Del Mar. Does anyone have experience with any of those to which they can speak?

That's too bad that there isn't any particularly good snorkeling in the area. Are there any interesting historical sights - churches, museums, forts, etc. - close by? Neither of us are particularly into art museums, but virtually anything else is likely to catch our interest. Are there any neat outdoor market districts?

Also, how expensive are cabs in the area (any comparison in cost to US cities would be helpful)? And are there any safety issues to look out for with cabs?

Thank you for all the help!

+1 for the Bio-Bay. Truly awe inspiring in nature's beauty.

My fiance and I will have a 1 night stop (about 26 total hours) in Puerto Rico on the way back from our honeymoon in Dominica. We unfortunately won't have time to dive, but we'd love to do some snorkeling if there is any good snorkeling in the area or visit some cultural sites. Can anyone give any good recommendations?

Also, we'd love suggestions on hotels. What places have you liked? Ideally, we'd want something not too far from the airport (a taxi ride that won't cost an arm and a leg) that would be within walking distance of good snorkeling, but we'd be glad to make lots of compromises on that vision for convenience and budget.

The only thing we have decided to do with this lay over period is do a kayaking tour on one of the biobays. We'd also gladly take suggestions on companies for that too.

Basically, we have a little over 24 hours to play around and I'd love to hear what you would do with that time.

A day isn't much time for fitting in a lot of stuff, but a short list of what I'd do.

A) hop a can and stay in Old San Juan. IIRC it was $15 or $30 for the cab from the airport. Stay the night in OSJ. Lots to see/do all walking distances.
Great food, great views, great forts, museums, etc.
Head over to Bacardi if you'd like ($10 for ferry/shuttle) for a 'tour' and 2 free drinks.

B) Depending on when you get in, rent a car and head to Fajardo for a 2tnk dive with one of the boats. Also could go hiking at El Younque. The bio bays are here as well ($50)

C) If it's a weekend and you enjoy roast pork, head south in a rental car. Any of the roadside food stops has a pig on a spit with all the fixins.

D) Like coffee?, again head south to one of the plantations and check out the mountain view road. It can be a little intimidating driving it (especially at night). A little easy to get turned around as road signs are rare in PR, but crosses a major road every dozen miles or so. The views some houses have are purely amazing!

E) In San Juan, there is beach, can't say anything about snorkeling though.

F) Hop a puddle jumper to Culebra/Viques for some great beaches/snorkeling.

G) combination of the above.

BRad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom