Beaches Resort - Negril

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welling

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Has anyone gone diving with Beaches Resorts in Negril, Jamaica? We just booked our second stay at Beaches (last time T&C) and want to know what dive sites that are with Beaches, or other dive shops that are fun to do. Any help would be great!

Jamaica, especially Negril, is a wonderful place for a vacation. We have been there many time but it sucks as a dive vacation. Reefs are dead and brown....very little life. After our second trip we did not even take our dive gear. If you just want some down time and blow a few bubbles have at it. Sorry....this is probably not what you wanted to hear but they did not take cjare of this most precious resource and let it be destroyed. Just my opinion. Bill

There's no doubt that Negril's reefs have been horribly degraded from what they once were. I lived there for a year in the early 70s, and it was a paradise with only one small hotel (Rita Hojan's Sundowner), powder soft coral beaches more than a hundred feet wide in places, stopping at thick jungle. Parrots, Boas, fisherman's shacks on the beach, conch shell piles 8 feet high, and so few tourists the total could be counted on your fingers. No telephones. Starry nights so clear the water and sky were inseparable. No cars. The reefs grew lush almost to the waters edge.

Tourism changed all that and by the late 70s dire warnings were coming from international coral reef preservation groups. By then Negril had become a super hip destination, part of the Hippy Highway and popular with the international jet set. Popularity had begun to destroy old Negril: popularity, greed, and incredible stupidity.

By the 90s Negril was only a dim shadow of its former glory. The construction of a major highway from Mobay to Negril put enough silt in the water to kill all the shallow coral.
The development of hotels on every square inch of the 7 mile beach and the pollution from this mass of humanity and the construction needed to house and entertain them destroyed enough of the barrier reef to wash away the natural sand beaches. If that were not bad enough every hustler, rentadred and fake Rasta in Jamaica was drawn to Negril, which had also become famous by then for its sex tourism aimed at middle-aged American and European women.

I can't go there any more because I remember vividly and painfully what used to be, but I would not write its scuba diving off completely. It's not just a lot of dead brown coral by a long shot. There is still a lot of life on the deeper reefs, and there is enough remaining coral structure around those spur and groove reefs to make diving mildly interesting. Places like the Throne Room and the airplane wrecks come to mind. I would not suggest going there for the diving, but if you are there anyway, I'd certainly recommend a few dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom