copamarina, Puerto Rico - looking for info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

walendvay

Registered
Reaction score
looking to spend a week in PR. Looking for a place on the beach with close diving. SW Puerto Rico looks intriguing with the wall and such.

does anyone have any info on the copamarina? how's thediving, how's the dive shop?

we are looking for a low key shop that allows you to "dive your air" yet goes to interesting sites.

any info in this place and their dive shop? recent data and reviews looks a bit dated.

we are not set on copamarina, so if y'all have other recommendations, let me know!

thanks!

I know nothing about Copamarina, but I highly recommend paradise scuba down in LA parguera. They will do exactly what you are wanting.

It might help to know when you are planning to go and how many of you are divers. If you're going beefore the end of April, La Parguera is great and is about 2.5 hours from San Juan. I've dove with West Divers (West Divers, Inc.) several times and Paradise (Scuba Diving Puerto Rico | Dive La Parguera) once or twice. The challenge you will have is whether the boats will be going out when you are there. West Divers needs a minimum of three divers. If you have two, they will go out if you agree to pay more. I don't know about Paradise. With both shops, you need to make reservations. You do not want to just show up in the morning and ask to dive. In terms of lodging, I recommend Parador Villa Parguera (Parador Villa  Parguera - Portada). La Parguera does not have a good beach, but you can drive 20-25 minutes to Playa Santa or Guanica or 30-35 minutes to El Combate (my favorite).

If you're going after April, I suggest going to Rincon on the west side (about 3-3.5 hours from San Juan). Taino Divers gets great reviews though I can't speak first hand.

It might help to know when you are planning to go and how many of you are divers. If you're going beefore the end of April, La Parguera is great and is about 2.5 hours from San Juan. I've dove with West Divers (West Divers, Inc.) several times and Paradise (Scuba Diving Puerto Rico | Dive La Parguera) once or twice. The challenge you will have is whether the boats will be going out when you are there. West Divers needs a minimum of three divers. If you have two, they will go out if you agree to pay more. I don't know about Paradise. With both shops, you need to make reservations. You do not want to just show up in the morning and ask to dive. In terms of lodging, I recommend Parador Villa Parguera (Parador Villa Parguera - Portada). La Parguera does not have a good beach, but you can drive 20-25 minutes to Playa Santa or Guanica or 30-35 minutes to El Combate (my favorite).

If you're going after April, I suggest going to Rincon on the west side (about 3-3.5 hours from San Juan). Taino Divers gets great reviews though I can't speak first hand.

When I was there 2 years ago, Kiko (Paradise) had no problems taking just 2 of us out. Plus Cachi is an awesome guide underwater!

BRad

Same here, went out with kiko and cachi all week with just my wife and i.

Interesting. We are planning to travel week of Feb 15-Feb 22; OR Feb 28-MAR 7. We are looking for a place to stay that is beach front with diving close by. Copamarina seemed to fit the bill, however, with no reviews, I am a bit skeptical. Two of us traveling (wife and me).

Have no problem booking dive days way in advance. The fact some people have been skunked by dive shops not having enough participation is a bit interesting.

thanks.

---------- Post added January 18th, 2015 at 04:27 PM ----------

Another thought, if we dove w/ Paradise Scuba (which seems to have great reviews), is there a beachy kinda resort/hotel that is about 30min or less drive away? My wife is fond of being able to go swimming on the beach following dive days. I have no problem driving to the dive shop in the am. Have done it plenty of times on plenty of trips.

1st time to P.R., so thanks for all of the help.

Actually, now that I think about it, you might want to consider Island Scuba located in Guanica (San Juan Diver | Diving Puerto Rico). These guys go out every day and they are excellent. They dive the same wall as the La Parguera shops but the boat rides are much shorter because they are very close to the wall. I only dove with them once because nobody was diving out of La Parguera one day when I was there. I can't speak for the Copamarina itself. It is popular with locals but I have never stayed there. I like the town of La Parguera, but it doesn't have beaches. I do the reverse as you. I stay in La Parguera but drive out to the beaches.

Update: Here's a link on Guanica Beaches:

Guanica Beaches - Tamarindo, Aroma, Atolladora, Cana Gorda | Puerto Rico Day Trips Travel Guide

Last edited:
I was born and raised in Puerto Rico. I am from Sabana Grande Puerto Rico which is the neighboring town to both Guanica and Lajas (La Parguera is a "Barrio" of Lajas) I know both Kiko if Paradise Scuba and Pedro of Iskand Scuba. They are both excellent shops with great reputation. Check them on trip advisor. Pero is the only one that goes out without a minimum of divers. ..Copa Marina for me us an expensive resort. ..the beach there "Caña Gorda" is beautiful and shallow. ..It's my Dad favorite, he used to take us there every summer. ..However there are other options close by. Pedro has a deal wva local guest house owner that rents apartments close by his shop. The beach where Pedro is "Playa Santa" is one of the most beautiful in the area and my favorite. Jlevine is correct, Pedro Padilla shop is closer the wall...
On another note, Parguera does not have a beach on site but Playa Caracoles us flise by or you can take a ferry to "Mata La Gata" a small island with a natural pool, very ckean and nice...
In Rincon you can also dive w Rincon Snorkling and Dive Center, they do a lot of shore diving ofvtge coast of Rincon. ..hope this helps u if u need more tips please contact me. I still have my Dad and my sisters and a lot of family there and I go back every year soI have first hand knowledge of many thing about Puerto Rico. ...

Hi all,

Thanks for sharing the advice.

I'm curious -- Why would the south be better before April and Rincon after April? Weather issues and prevailing winds, or getting enough people together for a dive boat to go out?

I'm be travelling solo (well, with a bunch of non divers) in August, coming from San Juan and looking at 1-2 nights in either place to do a day or two of diving. La Parguera and and Desecheo Island both looked like fun!

Here is your answer. During the fall/winter months state side(Oct - Apr) most cold fronts reach the Carribean from the north bringing bad weather and big waves. During these times the south get shield by the island (Puerto Rico is big if compare w the US VirginIslands and the like) and Rincon and Aguadilla become the surfers paradise. From Apr to June stuff is relatively calm until you reach huricaine season when the process is reversed. Storm systems during this time firm in coast of Africa ( some of them become Hurricanes) and they travel North bound hitting the South of Puerto Rico more often....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom