Jamaica Dive Sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGir1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi I'm planning on going to Jamaica in June this coming summer. I just wanted to know if anyone knows the best dive places on the Island? And how the weather/waters will be in June. Thanks guys!!! :snorkels:

I've dove in Negril area. I thought the diving was good compared what I was told beforehand by others who said that diving in Jamacia was "bad". The sites weren't as good as some of the other famous islands, but it was pretty good. I thought it was better than the diving in Key West for example.

We dove on the north end of Negrils "7 mile beach" area near all the "mega resorts" on the resort I was staying at Dive Boat.

The reefs there are low profile, but were in much better shape than I'd been told. There was a nice amount of sea life, but not an over abundance. The night dive brought out the crab, lobsters, squid, etc. Overall it exceeded my expectations and I would dive there again.

mike.

I just dove in Negril in January. I also feel that the diving is MUCH better than I anticipated (based on what I was told). In 1 week we saw: 3 huge rays one day, 2 huge rays another day, 2 huge morays, starfish, 3 big turtles, flying fish, grouper, angel fish, trumpet fish and more. On the night dive we also saw baby rays, HUGE crabs, lobsters, octopus, puffer fish, moray, etc. We dove the Throne Room too, which was cool to do.

One more thing to add to my previous comments..... You'll end up diving pretty close to whatever resort you choose. So If you want to dive near Negril or Montego Bay, plan on staying there.

The reason I say this is that their road system is simply "pathetic". When I was there 4 years ago, I was told of how bad the road to Negril was two years previous by some other people I knew that went. Well, when we got there, it was still a dirt road between the two areas and this was the "main" highway. Yep. That's right. The main highway between Montego Bay and Negril is (was) a dirt road. (in 2001)

The road from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios was paved, but that's an understatement. It had to be the worst paving job you've ever seen. At max you could go 45 to 50mph.

Traveling from Montego Bay to Ochio Rios is about 2.5 to 3 hours of driving.
From Mo Bay to Negril was about 1.5 hours driving.

Hope this helps some in choosing your diving location there.
Have fun.

I agree with the above post - you definitely need to stay where you want to dive but also you'll also be glad to hear that the road from MoBay to Negril is now completely done and paved. You can make it in 1 hour and 10 minutes if you have a fast taxi driver. But definitely under 1 1/2 hours. Now the road is no longer dirt and not bumpy. We go to Negril every year and I would HIGHLY recommend flying from Montego Bay to Negril. Air Jamaica no longer flies this route but there is a charter airline called TimAir and it is only an 11 minute flight. The airline takes off when you arrive, NOT on a set flight schedule, so no wasted time waiting around. It is around $80.00 per adult and 1/2 price for children. It is so-o-o-o worth the money.

Back
Top Bottom