St. Thomas Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boingophreak

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Did 3 dives (1 at Epcot and 2 in St. Thomas).

11/10/2005
Epcot's Dive Quest was incredible! 273 ft of vis (that was the diameter of the tank otherwise it could have gone on forever) in a 6 million gal tank. 65 different verities of Tropical sea life (including a giant sea turtle, 3 tiger sharks, a spotted ray and a couple of brown rays.) Although a dive into a tank sounds dull, this is NOT TO BE MISSED. If you find yourself at Walt Disney World - Dont' miss out on this.

11/16/2005
Chartered with Blue Island Divers.
St. Thomas - Dive #1 was a beautiful coral reef called REEF Bowl. Depth = 67 ft, Vis = 75ft, Water temp = 80 degrees F. Saw a parrot fish, baby sea turtle (I told the kids it was "Crush" from Finding Nemo) and lots of other sea life.

Dive #2 - My first Wreak dive. Navy Barges - Depth 40 ft. Vis was poor (8-10 ft), sandy bottom. It was 2 old WWII barges that were sunk in the late forties. Although the surrounding water was murky, it did clear up once inside the vessels. Saw a barracuda, giant lobster and a small ray. First time I have ever done a wreak, so it was a little spooky going through the holes that had been blown through the ship, but we had a great dive master\guide who took everything very slow and made it very enjoyable.

I agree, love the Epcot dive. The life outside the tank is as much fun as the life in the tank! My family gets a kick out of seeing me dive (all non-divers) & I enjoy playing with the patrons in the restaurant. Heading back next week for a family trip & plan to do it. How large are the sharks? Last visit (Oct '03), there was 1 or 2 small - 3 footers. Staff said they were hoping to add some larger specimens.

boingophreak,
welcome to this board.
thank you for the trip report.
diving in that fish tank sounds cool.
regards,

Welcome to Scubaboard! I thought the Navy barges was a decent dive considering it was arranged through a cruise ship when we were in St. Thomas.

Jersey:
I agree, love the Epcot dive. The life outside the tank is as much fun as the life in the tank! My family gets a kick out of seeing me dive (all non-divers) & I enjoy playing with the patrons in the restaurant. Heading back next week for a family trip & plan to do it. How large are the sharks? Last visit (Oct '03), there was 1 or 2 small - 3 footers. Staff said they were hoping to add some larger specimens.

The sharks have grown. I would say they were now around 5 - 5.5 ft.

There was a wedding reception going on in the coral reef while I was diving, so I did my best underwater Travolta imitations for the guests. :D :D :D

smokey braden:
boingophreak,
welcome to this board.
Thanks
smokey braden:
thank you for the trip report.
Your Welcome.:wink:
smokey braden:
diving in that fish tank sounds cool.
regards,

It was. If I go back I will do it again!!!

Tim Ingersoll:
Welcome to Scubaboard! I thought the Navy barges was a decent dive considering it was arranged through a cruise ship when we were in St. Thomas.

Thanks for the welcome. I booked the dives on my own months ago, not through the cruise ship. I did enjoy the Navy Barge dive. It was having to swim nose to fin with everyone (so that we could see each other) that I did not like. I did love the barges once we were inside. I also thougt that Blue Island was a great outfit and I will dive with them again if I am ever back in St. Thomas.

The cost of Disney's Epcott Dive Quest is $140.00 (This does also cover a one day pass into Epcott so you do not have to pay extra for that and a free T-Shirt).

They also offer a customized DVD of the experience for an additional "donation" of $35.00 to their wildlife conservation fund.

For further info see http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/tours.htm

scubabrandon:
if you don't mind me asking...how much does mickey charge to dive at epcot?

Brandon - Yep $140 for the 'experience' but you can get about 15% discount on the dives via AAA or DVC membership or PADI membership or DAN membersip, just ask. They offer 2 dives daily, the later usually lasts longer - about 50 min max. I think a portion of the cost is tax deductible as a contribution to some wildlife fund, but I'm not a tax advisor! You do get to see some of the behind the tank things as well - last trip they were not quite ready & we got to see where the dolphins are kept. They also offer a $100 surface supplied air snorkel 'experience' for guests 10 years & up.

Boingo thanks for the info. 10 yr old nephew is doing the snorkel this trip & is so excited about being in the water w/ sharks as large as he!

Back
Top Bottom