Grand Turk is Dead - Long Live Grand Turk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
The first cruise ship docked at Grand Turk this week. They ferried in (ugh - it's hard for me to say) tour busses.

Peanuts, pack up your Rhythm Pills and Dragon Stout. Or better yet sell all that you can to the (ugh - it's hard for me to say) Pod People.

One by one - Paradise is doing its next impression - Jesse Owens.

i love your title

pretty much it's all elegies these days

And a song of lament it is when these massive floating counties ply the Caribbean singing their songs of riches for the po' folks that only come to the Politicians.

What a sad day indeed when the last island paradise falls prey.

How often do those cruise ships come in to Grand Turk? Please don't say daily........

BTW, does anyone know how long they stay in port?

I was there. It came in early in the morning and left right after noon. The cruisers looked to be an average age of 60-70 and their total exposure to the island was a horse drawn carriage ride that didn't stop at any shops. There were many divers who were ferried to Oasis divers and got to dive some sites that have been set aside for that purpose. Initially the boats will be only one or two a week, but it may grow to 1-2 per day. The largest Margerittaville in the world is there now (Jimmy wasn't there for the opening), it was open (barely) with the pool filled with green water (not filtered and prettified yet) and the pool bar serving drinks, the food was cooked on gas grills as the kitchen wasn't built yet. Of course the souviner shop with its 32 dollar tee shirts was in full swing...

Mike

Tom Smedley:
And a song of lament it is when these massive floating counties ply the Caribbean singing their songs of riches for the po' folks that only come to the Politicians.

Tell that to someone who can't feed their children or send them to a decent school. Its easy to sit in our three bedroom homes with two car garages and opine what the people who live on these islands should do with their opportunities. Look at Cozumel compared to mainland Mexico and tell me that the cruise ship industry didn't benefit their standard of living.

Don't get me wrong I hate the pod people and the cruise culture as much as the next guy I just think that for the average joe living on Grand Turk there may be a chance for greater opportunity.

Tim Ingersoll:
I just think that for the average joe living on Grand Turk there may be a chance
for greater opportunity.

i sure hope so... that's about the only silver lining in the future clouds

Actually, since a basic booth costs 40K to rent in the "Village" to be able to sell, and, lock out specs were used for most of the concessions (must have 20 years of horse training experience, all horses trained to ride in surf, 2 mil in insurance...for example) makes it tough for the locals to get a piece of the pie...almost all the work done by folks from other places such as the Philipines...need I go on?

Some of the local folks like Peanuts will get some more sales but the majority of the townsfolk will see nothing but peanuts. The Politicos who arranged for the ship to come there will be the ones to reap.

Cozumel was mentioned - How many of the vendors are Mexican??

I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

Actually none of the booths are really manned yet. One was a local, he was selling stuff made from conch shells, I believe he also does sink tops, counter tops and such from them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom