How's the diving in Antigua?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KidK9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My family is taking a trip to Antigua in mid December and invited me along. Can anyone fill me in on the diving? Any good websites or operators? I first need to see if I can get off work, but I need to see if the diving is any good. Thanks for the replies.

i'm also interested in finding out how the diving is here. i've heard through the grapevine that it is just average but it should be an improvment considering we just dove over in Jamaica. any one have any details on this? we'll be diving with Sandals.

Hubby and I went to Sandals Antigua in August (2006) and although I thought the diving was awesome (first in ocean), he said that it was 'ok'. There was hurricane damage to parts of the island (believe it was the north/west area). The south side of the island was indeed better (more coral, more colors). I was amazed that even in some parts (one 70ft dive), the colors were better the farther down you went. We did our dives through Sandals since it was included. The DM's and Captain were great!! FYI-- EAT BEFORE YOU GO ON THE BOAT!!! They have water on the boat, but no snacks. Many times we went out, it was VERY rough. I did take some dramamine and had extra for others on the boat. The resort, well, we were not very pleased. If it was not for the diving, the vacation would have been a bust. Please do not get me wrong, we do not regret going, but we will not put it on our list to return to. Hope this helps--please let me know if I can answer any specific questions (I will try--lol)

wldflwrs03:
Hubby and I went to Sandals Antigua in August (2006) and although I thought the diving was awesome (first in ocean), he said that it was 'ok'. There was hurricane damage to parts of the island (believe it was the north/west area). The south side of the island was indeed better (more coral, more colors). I was amazed that even in some parts (one 70ft dive), the colors were better the farther down you went. We did our dives through Sandals since it was included. The DM's and Captain were great!! FYI-- EAT BEFORE YOU GO ON THE BOAT!!! They have water on the boat, but no snacks. Many times we went out, it was VERY rough. I did take some dramamine and had extra for others on the boat. The resort, well, we were not very pleased. If it was not for the diving, the vacation would have been a bust. Please do not get me wrong, we do not regret going, but we will not put it on our list to return to. Hope this helps--please let me know if I can answer any specific questions (I will try--lol)

my wife booked this trip months ago and has tried to convince me that the resort is getting much better reviews. i've been leary of going to this particular sandals because of the construction and the fact that it is a rather old sandals - apparently parts are ran down. regarding food i'm not too picky...i can eat burgers all week and be ok. so what exactly did you not like about the resort?

We read good and bad reviews as well. The construction was not an issue at all; you hardly knew it was going on. Originally we had booked just the 'bottom' room since we are hardly ever in our room. About 2 wks prior to leaving, they offered an upgrade to the Honeymoon Junior Suite (about 4 steps up) w/consierge service for $600. We did that and we are happy that we did (although we still haven't a clue as to what service the consierge was supposed to do). We each had a medium sized suitcase and then our dive gear. If we would not have upgraded, we would have not had the room for all the stuff. We are not 'heavey' packers to start with. The room was ok. In need of an upgrade, but doable. The air conditioning in the room was at best, so-so. It is the old style wall unit that never really did seem to cool the room. The bathroom, well, the shower was terrible. There was hardly enough water pressure to get your body 'wet' and it literally took about 10 minutes for the water to get luke warm. The grounds were 'nice', but the upkeep was not as diligant as some other places we have stayed. If you do not like anamals (cats in particular on the grounds and 2 very friendly dogs on the beach) be prepared since the cats will come up to you while you are eating. Also, if you have to leave your table for a drink refill (much faster for you to do it than wait--few occassions when we ordered drinks when we first sat down and when we were about to leave they arrived), have one person stay at the table to 'shoo' the birds away--they will take your food) We found that we liked the 'ok corral' best of the offerings for food. We lived on hamburgers for lunch all week. We did venture off the resort twice--both times to St Johns. We went a second time thinking that we missed something the first time--no, could not see what the 'hoopla' was about. We did not take any of the tours to Nelson's Dockyard or Shirley Heights. We had thought about it, but we did not want to feel like we wasted $$ going. Half of the jacuzzi's were inoperable while we were there. They state they are a 5 star resort, but we would say they were maybe a 3.5 We did not participate in the 'sandals games'--we are fuddy-duddies when it comes to things like that. Maybe that is where we went wrong, but the diving kept us busy and still gave us more than enough time to relax (make sure to have your log book and cert card--make that one of your first stops in the resort). My husband is the type of person that goes and goes on vacation, so he was bored some of the time. Our typical day was: get up at 0700, get gear ready, eat breakfast, dive boat 08, return anywhere from 1300-1400 (we did the 2 tanks), clean up, eat lunch, have someone sign log book, get ready for dinner and go to bed. Not a lot of excitement. The beds did not have box springs--just a hard mattress and plywood under. The staff was overall good. Housekeeping never seemed to get to our room until mid afternoon and then it took about 90 minutes to 'clean' it. The only diference we ever saw was that the bed was made. Used coffee mugs would still be there. Did not really like the 'public' beaches, but the locals would leave you alone after you told them 'no thanks' (but even if you were on the beach w/eyes closed, they would wake you). One thing that we would recommend is the 'beach' party. They serve the buffet on the beach. That was the best buffet set up they ever had. If you are thinking about the 'romantic beach dinner for two', scratch that. It is only private in the sense that the next table is only 10' away and the restuarants (so everyone can gaulk at you) might be 20'. We heard that the sand fleas for the dinner on the beach were terrible. It is the same food that is served in the resturaunts, but you pay about $100 for the 'romance' of it. That was our take on the place. Maybe if we went on some tours it would have been diferent, but we had heard mixed things about those as well from people who were there. We are not big 'party animals' so the night life was not for us. We chose Sandals because the diving was included, but we probably will not choose a Sandals again I know it is bad to judge all from one, but they charge PREMIUM for what we considered minimal). Hope this helps--ask if you got any more ?s

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom