How's the Diving in Haiti?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have never been there, but here are some links I found from a google search. Looks like only two shops, I would bet there are a couple more.

Be aware of a very high rate of AIDS infection in Haiti. It would be wise to travel there with a couple of pints of your own blood in case of a emergency. Sounds crazy, but it is recomended to hunters when traveling to Africa. DAN insurance is a must and I would give them a call to ask about evac options from there.

Good luck.

Dive Haiti Scuba Diving Centers :: CYBER DIVER ScubaLinx

Haiti Scuba Diving Directory

You would be a lot better off, not to mention SAFER going to the Dominican Republic, the other half of Haiti. Stay at one of the many all-inclusives. I haven't been there for a few years so I'm not up on the latest scoop for the best places. Guaranteed though you will be a lot safer and have a better time there than anywhere in Haiti. We're talking police walking around with machine guns, theft, crime, disease and all kinds of other things to avoid!

This isn't a vacation for me, I'll be there for work. I've found tanks, they actually have Nitrox. I've done my research and know that the diving is spectacular, probably because no one is dumb enough to go there. I was wondering if anyone has been diving there? Zombie Hole etc. Cap Haitien area?

We dived in Haiti in the spring of 2006.

First spot was at Port Morgan on the Ile a Vache off the south coast. Beautiful spot but the diving wasn't great mainly because their resident divemaster was off & the boat boy didn't really know where to take us. Google Port Morgan for details & ensure they have a dive guide in residence.

Second spot was at the Kaliko Beach Club about 1 hour north of PaP. Much better. Stay there & dive with Jose. They have shallow reefs & a wreck but the best diving was across at Ile a Goncaives - nice wall. If you google Kaliko Beach you can get his details - you will need to book in advance to ensure he is there - we were the first customers he'd had in a while.

We also visited Cap (a trip up to the Citadelle is a must) where you can dive at Cormier Plage but we had phoned & they said the dive shop was closed then. Would be interested to hear if anyone knows whetehr it's open now.

When are you going to be traveling there? I have been 3 times, 2003, 2004 and 2007 for drilling fresh water wells in various places along the West Coast. Beautiful snorkeling was all we ever had a chance to do. Don't expect to find alot of large marine life, Haiti's reefs are vastly overfished. We are actually looking into starting marine/reef/fishery conservation efforts there this year. We also have to provide another means of income for the fishermen before they will even consider conservation. We are looking into Tilapia farming as that resource. This has been a hope of mine since my 1st trip in 2003 and now it looks like things are coming together. For more see Big Fish Missions. If you are going down for any type of work in this field, please contact me. Also, you founds Nitrox tanks in Haiti? We will need those when we go in August to do some reef studies.

"You would be a lot better off, not to mention SAFER going to the Dominican Republic, the other half of Haiti. Stay at one of the many all-inclusives. I haven't been there for a few years so I'm not up on the latest scoop for the best places. Guaranteed though you will be a lot safer and have a better time there than anywhere in Haiti. We're talking police walking around with machine guns, theft, crime, disease and all kinds of other things to avoid!"

I love Haiti, but it not for the faint of heart or tourist looking for an easy place to go. It is the 2nd poorest country in the world behind Sudan. However the safety for the most part now is better than it has been in many years. It is safer now than when went in 2003 as far as kidnappings and violence. As far as having a dive emergency, you are pretty much on your own. Americans, no matter how rich or poor you may be, are seen as rich and you will be hounded for money. All kids can say this is in English "Give me dollar?". Be careful if you are going to give any handouts how you do it, preferably in private with who you are giving to. Make sure you get a tetnus shot and some malaria pills prior to going. The hepatitus vaccines are recommended also. There are very few motor boats that we have seen on the waters where we go, which makes for a very nice photo when all you see on the ocean are makeshift sailboats and not a bunch of white pleasure crafts like everywhere in Florida waters. Oh and there are virtually no "rekens"(Creole for sharks) in Haitian waters. What part of Haiti are you going into? We always stayed north of Port and south of St. Marc. Absolutely beautiful there. I could go on for hours, so if you have any questions I'd be happy to help!

Does anyone have any up to date info as to whether the dive operation at Cormier Plage near Cap Haitien is currently operational? Thanks.

I have a former commercial diver who is looking into more operators there. He works with a doctor near Cap Hatien. He has a friend who runs a hotel near LaBadie. I will let you know what I hear. Aquatic Adventures has a contact that is coordinating their dive efforts now. We can see what he finds as well.
By the way, have you dove or talked with the Roy's lately?

Back
Top Bottom