Aqua Cat vs Nekton Pilot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil

Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings,

Just back from a week on the Nekton Pilot. Several had asked me to compare the Aqua
Cat (in April) and the Nekton Pilot (last week) since they were about the same amount
of money.
So here goes:

Both operations were very nice, and if someone were to say lets go tomorrow, I could be
ready in about 2 hours for either one.

The Aqua Cat is a newer ship and thus in much better condition. We had problems with
the air conditioner condinsation leaking over our beds in the Pilot. The Aqua Cat has
larger rooms with the sink, shower and toilet all in the bathroom. The Pilot has the sink
out in the cabin portion. More storage area in the Aqua Cat, although if your bags are soft
sided you might be able to get them under the beds in the Pilot. At 6' 7" and a dive
buddie who is 6' 6" neither rooms are big enough, although all you do in the room is
sleep. The Aqua Cat didn't make up the rooms and give us fresh towels to shower with
each day like the Pilot did. You would have to ask for them on the AQ.

The food on the AC was a whole step up from the Pilot. However in all fairness the
regular cook was on vacation and they had a sub who was just ok.

The dive decks on the Pilot are boarder line dangerous. You pack 30+ divers into an area
that should have half that number of people getting ready to make a dive. Add to that the
fill hoses running along the deck floor and it would seem a sure formula for an accident.
We would wait an extra 10 or 15 minutes for some of the divers to get in the water before
we would venture down on to the deck. The pilot did give you warm towels after each
dive which was a nice touch. Both companies had hot fresh water waiting as you to rinse
off as you finished the dive.

The staff was great on both. Trying hard to please everyone, which we all know is hard
to do! The dive briefing were about the same on each. The staff on the Pilot were older
and more mature. Both Capitans were sociable and friendly.

I enjoyed the dives on the Pilot slightly more. The AC was up in the Exumas and the
Pilot was in Cay Sal area. It seemed to me that there were more schooling fish in the Cay
Sal area, and the corals seemed to me to be in slightly better shape. We ran into much
more current on the Pilot trip. I counted 8 of my 23 dives were in what I would call
moderate current. The Captian cancelled our second drift dive because the current was
just too strong. The one we did do at Elbow Cay was like an E ticket at Disneyland at
100 feet.

Like I said, both were very enjoyable, and I would consider going again on either, but in
all fairness, my expirence was that I think the Aqua Cat was one step up from the Nekton Pilot.

Phil

Thanks for the report.

My wife and I have a Nekton dive cruise scheduled on the Rorqual in July heading for Cay Sal. The main reason I chose Nekton was that it was based out of Ft. Lauderdale and we are just driving over from Tampa.

I have seen the comments you made about the vessels is pretty close to what I have seen on other divers comments. The best part about that is that I will know what to expect from my cruise now.

Having spent 4 years on a naval vessel, any boat I go on that I do not have to stand watch, fix stuff, clean and so forth is sure to be a vacation. Of course, I also believe that these boats are working boats instead of cruise ships with every luxury imagined.

We are excited about our first liveaboard experience and I will certianly be posting about it back here.

I hope that the Aquacat and Nekton admin groups are reading these forums also. It would seem like a couple of simple changes could be made on some common deficiencies and then negative comments would be almost nil.

Just one question about the Nekton about a statement that I have not seen before....

You said that the dive deck was cramped and crowded. Was this because you were on a full trip (34)? Most of the comments I have seen have stated that the Nektons dive platform is one of the better designed things out there.

Thanks again for the update!

It was my feeling that the dive deck was boarder line dangerous.

There were 31 dives on board which is not quite a full house.

Each person at the space of the bottle behind them to sit and put on their gear. Several time when I would come down to put on my gear for a dive, I would have to pull my computer hose or my second stage hose out from behind the bottle next to mine. It would be wedged behind their gear. Easy for a hose to get damaged.

As long as you were willing to wait for everyone else around your tanks to go in, it was fine. And the fill hoses running on the deck were just not safe. Flipper would get hooked under the hoses and it was easy to stumble.

My opinion..... for what it's worth!

Phil

I will watch out for the trip hazard when we go. Appreciate the feedback and looking forward to writing up my own report when we get back.

Oh and last count showed that there were only 20 signed up right now...3 weeks to go though so it is still possible for it to fill up.

Knavey just FYI. When we went on the Pilot I asked the Chief Engineer if we could get an engine room tour and he showed us around in the "back room" as well as down inside one of the pontoons where the engines are. It was pretty cool if you're into that kind of thing and the engineer is willing and able!
Ber :bunny:

Hi,

I've just returned from one week on board of Aqua Cat and I consider it very good. I never was on the Nekton but I did some other liveaboards and Aqua Cat was outstanding. Great boat, great crew and excellent dives.

Take care.

Ber Rabbit once bubbled...
Knavey just FYI. When we went on the Pilot I asked the Chief Engineer if we could get an engine room tour and he showed us around in the "back room" as well as down inside one of the pontoons where the engines are. It was pretty cool if you're into that kind of thing and the engineer is willing and able!

"Into that kind of thing" Are you kidding!!!

6 years as a navy nuc (we pushed those big hunks o' steel through the water), working on gas turbines right now, so I would LOVE that sort of tour...

Why are getting me so excited...I still have over 2 weeks before I leave...*sighs*

Knavey once bubbled...

Why are getting me so excited...I still have over 2 weeks before I leave...*sighs*

I know, I'm being a little stinker aren't I :eek:ut:

Malcolm was our Chief Engineer on our trip, he's REALLY cool! I've got a really good picture of him beside the engine in the starboard pontoon.

Our First Mate was Nick. I usually get up early in the morning on vacation (sometimes 4am) and this trip was no exception. I wandered to the pilot house and knocked and Nick invited me in. He explained how he pilots the boat and gave me the 50 cent tour of the pilot house.

Now go wipe the drool off of your keyboard :D

Ber Rabbit once bubbled...

I know, I'm being a little stinker aren't I :eek:ut:

Malcolm was our Chief Engineer on our trip, he's REALLY cool! I've got a really good picture of him beside the engine in the starboard pontoon.

Our First Mate was Nick. I usually get up early in the morning on vacation (sometimes 4am) and this trip was no exception. I wandered to the pilot house and knocked and Nick invited me in. He explained how he pilots the boat and gave me the 50 cent tour of the pilot house.

Now go wipe the drool off of your keyboard :D

Ouch....oooohhhhhh the pain. Make it stop. You're killing me!

I am pretty much an early riser also. Up with the sun, down with the sun. 4 am is my normal wakeup for work, so I may be sleeping in a tad bit longer, but since I won't have the blackout shades like I do at the house, I have no illusions of sleeping too late.

Oh well, back to pining away while I wait for my trip to start. And feel free to post more about your trips...

Back
Top Bottom