Diving in Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay Cohen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know it's still illegal for a US citizen(tourists) to visit Cuban, but you can enter from other countries, but it's still unlawful and you may get hassled at some point in the future with that Cuba stamp on your passport.

Has any US Citizens on these boards dove Cuba? If so, I'd appreciate any comments. I also know the travel laws might be changing in future, but any and all feedback sincerely appreciated.

I was diving in Canada last month and a few divers were discussing how sweet the diving was, mentioned that Americans travel via Canada or some of the other islands often, no big deal.

Thanks in advance.

Jay

Any who will admit to having violated the law on a public board like SB where the gov't could probably identify you without too much trouble? I'm sure you'll find someone who will. As you pointed out, prosecution these days for violating this aspect of the the Trading With The Enemy Act is unlikely, but I wouldn't want to admit any violation of any law here, whether it's the Trading With The Enemy Act or exceeding the speed limit on the way to work today.

Give me a break, if you have traveled to Cuba and had your passport stamped, believe me, the Gov knows about it, though I do think they have more pressing matters.

I'm just looking for feedback on anyone that's been there.

BTW, you can easily hookup with numerous "research groups" that head down there for structured dives if you want.

Surprised with the diversity of these boards, no one has chimed in.

I certainly know US citizens who have travelled to Cuba, and I am not aware that they got any particular hassle whilst they were there. There are plenty of European and Canadian tourists, and presumably the Americans just fit in.

I believe that Cuba immigration stamps a piece of paper that they put in your passport so that you can take it out to avoid hassle later. This is not rare - South Africa used to do it during the apartheid years (they may still, I haven't been there for many years) and I believe that Israel still does it.

There is supposed to be a world class wreck dive in Cuba - the Cristobal Colon in Santiago. If you dive it, make sure you post a report.

Thanks for the feedback.
I'm a rookie diver, tons of other locations to hit, before I need to dive Cuba, not worth the hassle at this point.

the "piece of paper" everyone always speaks of is the visa. You have to have it to come and to go, just like any other country you visit.

That might be right in Cuba, but in South Africa and Israel, they just stamp a white square of plain paper and tuck it into your passport.

Anyhow, back to regularly scheduled programming...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom