Roatan airfare from HOU

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In a conversation with an acquaintance the other day, she insisted that TACA regularly runs from HOU to Roatan very cheaply on Saturdays, on the order of $200-300, but when I go to their website and plug in Saturday dates, it returns fares of over $1000. Is there a secret? A password? A nod and a wink that I don't know about?

Their fares vary quite a bit during the year. They have seasonal rates, just like the resorts. They are not on the same time schedule though. They also have numerous rates on the same flight, even within the economy class. I have found that almost any travel agent can get a great reduction in the fares. Try Roatan Charter or Tico Travel for reduced fares.

You are pretty well right on that one. There seems to be little or no logic on airfares- and I know people in the Revenue Management (Price they're going to charge on any given date for any seat) department :loopy: of several US Airlines.

I think they use a dart board. :wanna:

I had tix with SOL that became useless when they abandoned the Dallas to Roatan route. Surprisingly, even at a late date and for a holiday period, Roatan Charter rerouted me via TACA for a few dollars less. There is no logic.

I have never heard TACA being described as cheap or bargain fares, altho they did run some deals a few years back. :bandit:

If you can get it for $450, that's the average lately.

I just let Roatan Charter do it at 800 282 8932 (ask for Debbie if you just want air, start with Liz if you want land accomodations). I have NEVER been able to beat their prices at the time that I ask them to bid. What happens 24 hours later to TACA prices- or if a Salvadoran chicken drops dead :skull: at the sight of the full moon, who is to say?

:cool: Roatanman ole wise one. I booked my land with liz last Aug as soon as we got back from CoCo View to return in Jul 04. I have emailed Liz a couple of times since to get my airfare booked. She tells me it's too early they haven't gotten their contracts with TACA finalized yet. Am I too antsy? Should I go to Debbie instead? I don't want to step on toes, but it would be nice to have the the airfare booked so I can be paying on it. I am a bit of a control freak I want to know I have everything in order early on. I hate waiting until the 11th hour and hope it happens. Please advise.
:sunnyday:

In short? Relax.

Debbie is all over it, you can bet on it.

Yup, you could demand to purchase it now, but you'd prbably get hosed in the process. Debbie knows the tempo of the pricing games that airlines play- What with TACA being operated with the Central American typical business process which is based on PROCEDURES :stooges:, she knows how and when to buy your fare.

My S.E. is a sales/marketing goddess and national director of sales :ninja: for a really big hotel chain that is a first rate, exquisite service, blah :blah: blah type operation. When Roatan Charter wasn't immediately making TACA arrangements and buying tix and billing her credit card account- It was everything I could do to calm her down.

Then--- I had to explain to her that the "vouchers" that Roatan Charter sent for CoCo View were never really collected by CCV upon arrival (unless there was a problem). Elsewhere in the industry, they are treated like gold bars. :money: No tickee, no divee.

For an August trip, about 3 months in advance, you could blow a call into Debbie :angel: at the air desk and see what's what. She is as busy as a one armed paper hanger- but a nicer staff you couldn't imagine. This friendliness (and knowing when to take action vs. waiting) carries over to CoCoView as well.

:crazyeyes I am leaving for Coz in 5 days and am busy freaking out about my paperless ticket my TA assures that my transfers and hotel has my name on a "list" so no vouchers needed.OMG I cannot stand change. I want a little piece of paper in my hands saying this is your transfer and this is your hotel voucher. I'm sure I will survive but it's nice to vent. worried: Thanks
:sunnyday:

I just purchased two round trip ticket to Roatan from Miami for $555.00 from TACA. They were running a special deal for depatures in Jan. Feb. and May.

Ditto everything RoatanMan has said. Roatan Charters is THE agency to use if you're going to Roatan...or any of the surrounding areas. Liz and Debbie know the rules of the game and the strategy to get you the best prices.

I always book our next April trips as soon as we get back from this one, and it's so hard to wait until early fall to know what the airfare will be but they've never let me down. TACA may run a last minute special that's cheaper than what we have but going non-stop is priceless to us. Debbie will block our seats on the Houston to Roatan non-stop flights. We're guaranteed those seats even if we do have to wait for the price. It's nice knowing we don't have to layover on the mainland. And Liz is a whiz at keeping up with all the details. We take anywhere from 6-24 people with us on our trips and she's always right on top of everything.

I went last spring. I connected in Houston from Detroit.

I had the same problem for a long time trying to get a good price online. I finally worked w/ some travel agents I found on sites pertaining to Roatan, Honduras, and Central America.

I ended up getting round trip from Detroit for $550. It was a major score compared to what I had been able to find on my own.

I believe I took Continental to Houston & then Taca to Roatan.

Good Luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom