Best place to dive that also offers activities for non-divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Romantic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a non-diving wife that enjoys "booze cruise" type of activities and nature stuff. We love Cozumel and would like to know of more places with similar alternatives to diving. We just got back from Grand Cayman and liked it pretty good (would say great if it were not so &*%* expensive)!

I enjoy the Yucatan mainland -- good diving, ocean and Cenote, and wonderful things for the non-diver to do. There are many all inclusives that would give the same "booze cruise" feel for the non-diver. In addition to just lounging around, there are very interesting Mayan ruins, fishing, and shopping.

I was reading up some different places & noticed Anthony's Key Resort at Roatan offers non-diving excursions. Click on their 'Activities' link. I haven't been to Roatan, but thought it might appeal to you.

Any interest in St. Thomas? You could dive with Admiralty or Red Hook, for example, take a ferry over to St. John's and enjoy the nature park (? whatever they call it), and scads of cruise ships stop there - it's something of a Caribbean shopping destination. Some nice beaches.

In fact, most any Caribbean island cruise ships stop at, go to RoyalCaribbean.com and go see what excursions they offer at that site. Okay, now go to TripAdvisor.com, find that island, check out the Things to Do page, and odds are you can find much the same or similar excursions which you can book without being a cruise ship customer. So, dolphin & sea lion encounters, rainforest hikes and canopy tours, boat tours upriver or along scenic coastline, you can get all that.

Undercurrent in Sept. 2011 had a lead article on an op. in Barbados for divers looking to please non-diving tag-alongs (family, in that case). I linked it in a post in a current thread somewhat similar to yours, that might help.

Richard.

Another option is the south coast of the Dominican Republic...great diving and lots of land-based tours. If you go look up ScubaFun...best dive operator on the island!

Belize. Pretty much my standard answer to questions like this. :)

Belize. Pretty much my standard answer to questions like this. :)

I was trying to look at Belize options earlier tonight and Tripcentral, Expedia and Redtag don't seem to offer vacations there anymore...what's up with that?

The BVI's. The whole country is a booze cruise waiting to happen. Nature "stuff" is pretty well covered also - there's several marine parks, reserves and about a dozen+ national parks spread over the islands. I think almost all of Anegada Island is one also. www.bvitourism.com

Besides the floating bar the Willy T there's over 2 dozen beach bars on the various small islands accessible by boat. I know because we went to 9 or 10 of them in one day. Some we jumped off the boat and swam in to.

This is too long a read for the content provided but there's some good info: Overboard: Beach Bar and Drinking Guide to the BVI - page 2 | CaribbeanTravelMag.com

This is a much better list but it includes restaurants that are definitely NOT on the beach: Beach Bars of the British Virgin Islands

If you go and stay on Virgin Gorda, don't miss the beach BBQ at Leverick Bay resort on Friday night. Everybody goes...

Virgin Gorda is a little pricey though. Not as expensive as Grand Cayman generally but accommodations sure keep pace. Tortola is cheaper.

Diving is decent also. A step down from Cayman or Coz though. bviscuba.org lists your options.

Easiest way to the BVI's is fly into St. Thomas and take the fast ferries over - takes between 1-2 hrs. depending on your origin/destination points. The ferry port is 5mins. by cab from the airport downtown also. Virgin Islands Ferry Schedule
Your wife can also island hop between the islands on the ferries - we considered a day trip over to Tortola once - the last ferry back was at 7PM.

The BVI's are all very picturesque as well - dramatic cliffs dropping down into the ocean in some areas. The Baths is world famous also. http://www.bvitourism.com/activity/baths-national-park

The people I travel with do not dive but could spend days on a booze cruise. Beaches at Turks and Cacaos worked out great for all of us. I would do a two tank dive every morning and meet them at the swim up bar by the dock when I was done. Since they had only gotten up about an hour earlier I did not miss much time with them either.

Rich Keller, I'm telling you true, Belize. Probably best bet, Ambergris Caye. Actual booze cruises, beach bars everywhere.

I've no clue why the computer travel booking companies have no tours coming up. Makes little sense to me.

Rich Keller, if you were to decide on Ambergris Caye, and want to give me more criteria about your group and their resources and accommodation preferences, I'll be able to give some suggestions for your further research. I'm not a travel agent, just an aficionado. :)

My wife is a non diver and enjoys "nature stuff" too. We are older and prefer quite fun. But I can recommend Couples. There are only in Jamacia, include 2 dives a day in the all inclusive plan. Usually plenty of distractions for non divers. Diving is only so-so but you can get a bunch of dives in as it's very convenient.

Did Sandals in St Lucia. Better diving but I don't like Sandals Class system.

But we usually find a cottage by a nice beach. Tuttle Nest Inn on Grand Cayman was great . Need a car to get around but nice and private, centrally located and easy to get to several dive opps.

Aquamarine Beach houses on Provodenciales was Also great. Right on Grace bay. Great snorkeling off the beach and Great diving.

Lax Au Pines Cottages in Grenada was wonderful for us. Secluded beach with a dive shop 100 yards down the beach.

The Cottage option can be cheaper than the all inclusive resorts but nothing is cheap in the Caribbean anymore.

The Florida Keys are nice too as a cheaper option. We find campy little resorts. Lots of dive options. Way cheaper than the Caribbean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom