diving or snorkeling with humpback whales - silverbank or salt cay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

heehee62

Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like Salt Cay is much easier to get to than the silverbank.

What are my odds for being able to dive or snorkel with humpback whales at each of these locations? Is it better to dive or snorkel?

I know I'd have a chance of diving with the whales at the Soccorros Islands too. If any of you have been there too, how does it compare to Salt Cay and Silverbank in terms of odds for diving/snorkeling with the whales?

Thanks.

Silver Banks on either of the liveaboards - about zero. It's snorkel only. Might be a DR sanctuary regulation - Swim and snorkel with humpback whales and dolphins - Silver Bank Sanctuary

In January of each year, the Turks & Caicos Explorer II follows the migrating humpback whales to the south, and spends the following 11 weeks on the Silver Banks, 80 miles to the north of Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic. These special itineraries, run by world-renowned Tom Conlin of Aquatic Adventures, offer up to 18 lucky guests the opportunity to spend a week both topside and in the water (snorkel only), experiencing the majesty of these incredible creatures up close and personal.
The Tom Conlin mentioned - he wrote much of the regulations for the DR government. Be my first choice if I wanted to snorkel with them.

We watched a promo video one night on the Explorer and I asked the Captain what would happen if you were diving nearby and they came over. He said "you won't be". I don't even think they bring gear/tanks on the trip but I've never done it.

Silver Banks on either of the liveaboards - about zero. It's snorkel only. Might be a DR sanctuary regulation - Swim and snorkel with humpback whales and dolphins - Silver Bank Sanctuary

The Tom Conlin mentioned - he wrote much of the regulations for the DR government. Be my first choice if I wanted to snorkel with them.

We watched a promo video one night on the Explorer and I asked the Captain what would happen if you were diving nearby and they came over. He said "you won't be". I don't even think they bring gear/tanks on the trip but I've never done it.

Thanks. Snorkeling's good enough I guess. If my odds are good for snorkeling with them at Salt Cay (anyone know), I think I'd rather go there. The silverbank trip looks great but it is a lot more expensive.

Wow,

I had no idea it was that much money. That's about $1000 more than a week long dive trip when you add in all the extra $300 fees. No wonder they were promoting it....I had thought it was cheaper than diving.

Socorros is about the same money or a little more. Socorros was mostly sold out for 2015/16 last time I checked. Nautilus is bringing a new boat online early next year IIRC so that may open up options. This is from Solmar V though and doesn't exactly sound promising...
Dive Baja Mexico aboard a luxury liveaboard for scuba dive trips and adventure ... to an occasional lucky interaction with the migrating humpback whale population. ... We've been diving the Sea of Cortez for over 25 years,

There's also Humpback Whale gudied tours from La Paz, Loreto or Cabo San Lucas. Don't think they allow snorkelers in the water though since they're calving. some info: http://whalewatchcabo.com/

Last edited:
You can whale watch in Salt Cay/ Grand Turk. The chances of diving with whales is very rarely happens. The chances of seeing whales is very high 95% the chances of snorkelling with them is about 30-40%.

Dominica has whales year round, you might be lucky? As far as Salt Cay it's whale watching from boats, we were there too early for whales but enjoyed ourselves anyway just diving.

Curious if you went to Salt Cay, and if so, did you see any humpbacks? Their migration can start in Jan. we're going Jan 5th thru the 17th, staying in Provo and then on to Salt Cay. Hoping to get to swim with the whales! Dream of a lifetime. I've been told whales don't like the bubbles from divers, true, I don't know. It's probably for safety reasons. Curious to know if you went and saw whales. I'm so excited! Thx

Curious if you went to Salt Cay, and if so, did you see any humpbacks? Their migration can start in Jan. we're going Jan 5th thru the 17th, staying in Provo and then on to Salt Cay. Hoping to get to swim with the whales! Dream of a lifetime. I've been told whales don't like the bubbles from divers, true, I don't know. It's probably for safety reasons. Curious to know if you went and saw whales. I'm so excited! Thx

My group wanted to go to the Cayman Islands instead so didn't go. Did you go and see any?

I can't speak for Salt Cay, but you can snorkel with with them at The Silverbank with a extremely high chance of seeing them. I did the trip two years ago and we saw multiple whales each day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom