Utila? Curacao? Dominica? or....???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We just returned from Little Cayman....Bonaire in April and looking for where to go on our next dive adventure. We have been to Belize and considered it again but thought maybe somewhere new. We have been to Cozumel and did not like drift diving. We like maco and micro we love coral color and diversity. Where do you suggest and why? Thanks Bill

I'll recommend Saba. It offers pinnacles, rare in the Caribbean, where you can see more large pelagic life, and great reefs including, on the windward side of the island, elkhorn coral. There are several shallow reefs where the micro life abounds. Plus, the crew at Sea Saba is really good at finding the really interesting tiny critters for your enjoyment. Saba is also home to a large number of adolescent sea turtles, so you'll likely see some on most of your dives. Sea Saba also allows you to dive your NDL on every dive, so no worries about artificial limits on bottom time.

Saba itself is very different than LC or Bonaire as it is volcanic in origin. This means no beaches, but it also means a wide variety (5 climate zones!) of hiking on its 5 square miles. The island has a very interesting history and its residents, among the friendliest anywhere, will be happy to tell you about it. There are not a great many restaurants, but they are generally very good and, considering the cost of food, not badly priced. There are a couple of hotels in Windwardside, where most tourists stay, and there are also several cottages you can rent, most with fully equipped kitchens, so if you want to skip the restaurants, you can do your own cooking. The Saba Tourism website (http://www.sabatourism.com/) has a comprehensive list of hotels and cottages available.

Another contrast with many other islands, Saba is virtually crime-free. Did I mention that the Sabans are some of the friendliest people anywhere?

Hey Bill...

Larry is absolutely right about SABA!! It is an amazing little island in so many different ways!! If this is where you decide to go next, reach out to Lynn and John at SEA SABA Dive Centre... they know what they are doing cause they have been doing it well for over 25 years!! They can package up everything for you!

So... how about Curacao!!! :D This is my #1 Vote because I choose to live here, work in dive tourism here and raise my daughter here!! It is also an amazing island and IMO probably one of the most diverse Caribbean Islands (both above and below the waterline) that I have come across.

Why?? Below the waterline, the question should not be "should I dive EAST or WEST"... the question is when do you put it in your schedule!! Dive as much EAST and as much WEST as possible because if diversity is what you seek, and micro/macro is what you want then be prepared for a mind blowing kaleidoscope of color, diversity, intensity where you will be left with the feeling at your safety stop... "I need to go back for more"!

There is so much opportunity to dive the way you want on your shore diving schedule and balance it with some amazing boats dives like EASTPOINT, KLEIN CURACAO, WATAMULA as examples!! There are lots opinions on where to dive on Curacao... so check out the other threads or feel free to PM aswell.

Check out a Report on EASTPOINT... one of the last untouched frontiers in the Caribbean! A place where Coral is still healthy & growing!!

http://repeatingislands.com/2013/07/07/curacaos-oostpunt-reef-among-the-best-in-the-caribbean/

Regarding Dive Operators... We have some excellent operators here on Curacao. My "STRONG" suggestion is to only consider Dive Operators that have met the Quality Standards set forth by the Curacao Tourism Board (CTB) and then been approved. A list of APPROVED Dive Operations can be found at Curaçao , a unique Caribbean island paradise The Quality Criteria can also be found there too.

Additionally, CTB has been working hard with the CHATA Dive Task Force to update all the diving related information including Safety, Decompression Chamber protocols/procedures, and of course dive site information!!

So how about "above the waterline"... well the culture, history, music and flavors of Curacao are also rich and diverse!! For example... the local language is called Papimentu. Its origins go back to the days of slavery and has developed through the years into a written language taught today in our schools. The language is made up of 5 languages (Dutch, Spanish, Portuguese, English and French... however there are hints of an African origins). Oddly enough, all these countries occupied Curacao at different times through history. (BTW... if you come, stop by the Maritime Museum where a complete timeline of Curacao is available)

Flash forward to today... now there are over 40 nationalities on Curacao and most residents of Curacao speak up to 5 languages!! Now, mix in those rich creole smells, flavors, music, colours, arts, crafts, history, and skyline... welcome to Curacao!!

If you want more information, recommendations, suggestions, etc... please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

You can either PM me or email me at bryan@oceanencounters.com

Thanks and we hope to see you soon on Curacao!!

beacher.jpgeagleray.jpgknast.jpgwillitown_at_night.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Bill...

My "STRONG" suggestion is to only consider Dive Operators that have met the Quality Standards set forth by the Curacao Tourism Board (CTB) and then been approved.

What makes these operators so special and/or better?

I enjoyed Curacao when I visited several years ago. The diving was great and the topside life is excellent as well. Lots of great places to eat and very picturesque whether you are in Punda/Otrabanda or all the way on the west end of the island. Saba is also on my list.

Back
Top Bottom