Looking for tips on St Thomas and St. Johns BVI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pwsf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi, My wife and I are traveling on a cruise and were looking for tips on diving either St Thomas or St Johns. I am experienced but Lin da is a beginner, so looking for a spot/ shop that is good but mellow. Any tips or reviews would help a bunch. Thanks

I liked Admiralty Dive Center. Got off the ship (a Royal Caribbean ship), onto the pier, walked down & it wasn't all that far to meet up with them. No need for a cab or the like. People also speak well of Red Hook. I've not been to St. Johns; seems like people talk about the snorkeling there, and the national park topside, more so than scuba diving there. Be interesting to see if anyone has a different view on that.

What other islands are you hitting on your cruise?

Richard.

Here's a tip, both islands are in the USVI's...:wink: - the BVI's are the next group of Islands over (Tortola, Jost Van Dyke, Virgin Gorda, Anegada)

Besides Admiralty, Blue Island Divers is another option - they'll pick you up off the pier by boat. If your ship docks at Crown Point instead of WICO/Havensight, they're walking distance in the same marina. http://www.blueislanddivers.com/
Don't got with the St. Thomas cruise operator - there's a thread here about how bad they are. Something with a "S" in the name IIRC.

There's no cruise dock on St. John so everyone is tendered in off the ships that stop there also. Cruz Bay Watersports is an option as they have a location downtown. I don't know anything about them. http://www.cruzbaywatersports.com/scuba-diving

Red Hook Diving is good but they're about 30-40 minutes away in Red Hook (go figure) so depending on your arrival time in St. Thomas you may not be able to get there in time for their 9AM morning departure. If you're looking for a low stress dive experience, the logistics of getting there may not be it. There's going to be a fleet of cabs at the port but many are shared vans so they'll try to fill them before departing. If your schedule is tight, avoid them - they'll drop pax along the way to Red Hook which is about the furthest stop. http://redhookdivecenter.com/

From either location Cow/Calf Rocks is a shallow "mellow" dive and one of the better known St. Thomas dives. A lot of the Cays diving further east is very protected also - Cruz Bay should do some of it - it's a little far for the Charlotte Amalie boats since they like to get you back in time to look around town a little.

diversteve..... Whoops, I meant to say Antigua (ST Johns is the town). Thanks for all the great tips

Back
Top Bottom