Grand Turk Bohio Trip Report November 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

its late, but I am getting it down finally. Getting to GT was easy and smooth. the T&C airport was everything i remembered it to be (not a compliment), but doable. We flew through both ways on a Friday so it was not bad...first time through was a Saturday and I think a riot would have been more calming. We flew InterCarribean from T&C to and from GT. No complaints going, on the way home they canceled our flight and merged it with the next one. No connections were missed because every flight that day was late. The only gripe was they didn't tell us this was canceled...and the "terminal" on GT had no AC.

A driver met us at GT and drove us straight to the Bohio where we were met with smiles and clear instructions for the moment, dinner and the rest of the week. The resort was very clean and well kept all week. Room was very nice, clean and well appointed. Our room was super quiet with a great view of the beach. The wifi was sketchy and I would rather it was broken - the less connected we can get the better the vaca. Were were informed that meals could take a while to make and plan accordingly - which was fine because the food was outrageous good! Probably the best island food we ever had. The bar was nice and the beer was cold. Be cautious of the rum punch - they are potent! I made that mistake once :wink:, ok maybe twice...

Diving was on skiffs and they picked us up right on the beach each day. the tanks were well filled and the DMs were very relaxed and let us dive till we ran out of air. Lots of long dives! we dove with small groups and it was super fun. the diving itself was ok, not the best nor the worst. Just not a ton of macro or big stuff. It may be due to the time of year? But we loved it still and did 3 a day a few days of the week - so don't misunderstand that comment. The reef did look healthy and clean, no algae build up or trash or anything. the water was ~83 give or take one or two - WARM! dove in shorties the whole time. First dive was bout 9, back for lunch about 130 for lunch. SI was walking the beach. Great shelling there if you are into that. They have a few dogs that are all characters. Savage stole my heart. The don't make you sign for every last thing you eat and drink and that is very cool. the staff remembered us from day one so we just asked for what we wanted and kicked back. The staff were great, every last one.

The weather was outrageously great! It rained a couple times in the middle of the night - otherwise, bluebird or at worst white puffy clouds. Could not have been better. Nice breeze most days.

Overall - a very VERY relaxing and moderately off the grid trip. we have hectic jobs so this was exactly what we needed. slow and casual. We didn't wear shoes or flops except when we went to town. I will tell you I have not turned of reality like that in a while and wish we could do that everywhere we dive!

Bohio- Tom, Ginny; WELL DONE my friends!!! Thank you for a much needed step out of the working world.

Good report. Couple of interesting snippets from your report:

Overall - a very VERY relaxing and moderately off the grid trip.

...and the DMs were very relaxed and let us dive till we ran out of air. Lots of long dives! we dove with small groups and it was super fun. the diving itself was ok, not the best nor the worst. Just not a ton of macro or big stuff. It may be due to the time of year? But we loved it still and did 3 a day a few days of the week - so don't misunderstand that comment. The reef did look healthy and clean...

When people hit something of an off-the-grid destination, my natural response is to ask why? For that matter, answering 'why that destination' is a good question for any choice, since most all of us won't hit all the options in our lifetimes, and want to make the best choices for ourselves.

So, out of all the places you could've gone, what made you pick Grand Turk?

What type of diver do you think would be well-advised to put it up his/her list ahead of a lot of other destinations?

Richard.

P.S.: I'm not challenging the choice; I just want to understand it and learn something.

Sounds pretty much like my experience when I went there.. The food was great! Diving was ok... Dogs were fun. Glad you had a nice time.

Thanks for the report SandyUT, but I am a little disappointed. We've been thinking of trying GT because we've had two great liveaboard trips in T&C diving around West Caicos, and somehow I got the impression that GT would be more of the same. But I am glad that you had a nice trip, it sounds like a beautiful and relaxing spot.

Pretty much the same conditions when I was there in July , not a lot of swimming life but a great reef and wall .
For the price of Bohio I will do liveaboard if I return to Turks Caicos .

GT was ok for us. As I've mentioned before, use Caicos Express!! Much better airline.

The diving was ok but we always got back after 1pm or later, all wall dives and topside GT is not pretty. Carriacou ( where we just spent 2 weeks) is stunning topside with various diving. Not a lot of big fish either but more schools of fish and a whole lot more critters. On the last 5 five mins of our very last dive we found the 5" yellow seahorse we were told was on that site! And we always got back around 12pm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You got lucky--------a group we usually travel with(~ 20 divers mostly from Louisiana) ---but wife & I opted for Brac a couple weeks earlier due to 3 major surgeries she had in 8 months from Sept '13 thru April '14--we figured Brac would be an easier trip than Bohio T&C)went ~ 1st week in November '14........Got in 1(ONE) day of diving out of 6!!!---due to bad cold front that got there about the Saturday they did........Needless to say I heard most were very PO'ed on the return flight back to the states.....:)

Thanks for the report SandyUT, but I am a little disappointed. We've been thinking of trying GT because we've had two great liveaboard trips in T&C diving around West Caicos, and somehow I got the impression that GT would be more of the same. But I am glad that you had a nice trip, it sounds like a beautiful and relaxing spot.

we did the T&C aggressor a couple years ago and it was one of favorite trips. just awesome all around. We expected more of the diving I guess, it not quite to that caliber of diving we had on the live aboard. it didn't suck, but the aggressor dives were..well much better. Granted we were out far enough to not see land for days...so realistically speaking after the fact I know they will be different.

---------- Post added January 9th, 2015 at 05:00 PM ----------

You got lucky--------a group we usually travel with(~ 20 divers mostly from Louisiana) ---but wife & I opted for Brac a couple weeks earlier due to 3 major surgeries she had in 8 months from Sept '13 thru April '14--we figured Brac would be an easier trip than Bohio T&C)went ~ 1st week in November '14........Got in 1(ONE) day of diving out of 6!!!---due to bad cold front that got there about the Saturday they did........Needless to say I heard most were very PO'ed on the return flight back to the states.....:)

Holy cow! that was an option we almost took... I think i read about your group on here. I would very disturbed with only one day in the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom