Turks & Caicos - Provo Diver Operators (and should we be looking elsewhere?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

batts

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We visited Provo 4 years ago and dove with Flamingo Divers. Phenomenal experience in every way: super warm, personalized service and unforgettable diving. Flamingo leaves from the south side and usually heads towards the best wall diving areas: West Caicos, Sandbourne Channel, NW point, French Cay, etc. We saw sharks on almost every dive, which is the primary reason we're itching to go back.

We're considering a return trip in November provided we can arrange to dive the same wall locations (where we will hopefully encounter a similar abundance of sharks).

We've found only two dive operators on the south side: Flamingo and AquaTCI. I'm sure either would be awesome, but the prices are steep. $150.00 per dive with no discount for multi-day diving. Not a great fit for our budget, especially considering the high price of accommodations on Provo. [At these rates, Provo would cost us more than Fiji]. There appear to be some less expensively priced dive operations based out of Turtle Cove (e.g. Dive Provo) but we haven't been able to confirm that they dive the same locations as the southside operators.

Questions: (1) Are there any less expensive operators that leave from the south side marinas? (2) Do the operators in Turtle Cove dive the same sites (and see similar numbers of sharks, etc.)/aside from larger groups, do they provide a comparable experience?)?

Assuming there's no less expensive way to do a land based trip in Provo, are there other Caribbean destinations we should consider for November? (e.g. Grand Turk?).

We dove with Caicos Adventures back in December. They left from the South Side Boatyard area. Our friends did the 3 day package $385 (6 dives) as they were already certified. We did our checkout dives for two of the days and it was great doing those with sharks and sea turtles everywhere. We dove West Caicos for two days for our checkout dives and French Cay (Rock and Roll, G-Spot etc) on the third day and had a great time. They picked us up from our hotel near Grace Bay for no extra charge.

I thought they all did. Besides Caicos Adventures Ocean Vibes, Provo Turtle Divers and Dive Provo list those locations as daily dives also. Check their websites - they all list them. No experience with them since we were on Explorer.

I'm not exactly sure the Grand Turk operators go there since they've got the wall just off shore. Oasis and Blue Water only list the 40+ sites off the wall there. I guess since it's there - why bother burning the gas over to West Caicos - which might be a little far also - look at a map.

fwiw, the cruise port is on Grand Turk also. Seems like a pretty small place to support that kind of load.

Thanks, diver Steve! I was actually wondering about Grand Turk as an alternate destination to Provo. I've read that Grand Turk diving is similar to Provo diving with much shorter boat rides. I'm not sure about how frequently sharks are sighted at GT. And there's the cruise ship terminal issue...

We've checked out the listed dive sites on various operator's websites. While they list West Caicos, etc., we can't get a feel for how frequently they make it out there. If anyone has experience with other Provo operators, I would love to get more feedback.

From what I read on Dive Provo's site, I assume it's daily. They mention all the sites in their 2 tank description plus the 3 different boats they have leaving form the two different marinas - one north/one south. I'm sure you could e-mail them and ask about the frequency.

Thanks, diver Steve! I was actually wondering about Grand Turk as an alternate destination to Provo. I've read that Grand Turk diving is similar to Provo diving with much shorter boat rides. I'm not sure about how frequently sharks are sighted at GT. And there's the cruise ship terminal issue...

I was under the same impression, but I have done some research on this board recently and learned that (although the boat rides to the reefs are much shorter) the diving off GT is not as spectacular as West Caicos and French Cay and you are much less likely to see large animals like sharks. But it is my understanding that the most of the cruise ship passengers stay at/near the terminal, so that may not be much of an issue.

We have been to T&Cs twice and both times we spent some on Provo doing a non-diving vacation and then got on liveaboards for the diving portion of the trip. The liveaboard diving was some of the best in our experience and the cost per dive was much cheaper as compared to a land-based dive operation.

We are also considering a land-based dive trip to Provo but the cost and the distance from the reefs are significant considerations; I'm not sure what will decide.

Forget the land based and get on Explorer Ventures or Aggressor. They spend most of their 27 dives on West Caicos and French Cay. You get a better price point and better diving with little drive time between sites. West Caicos is about 2 hours out of Caicos Marina on live aboard and an hour or so by fast boat. Besides, if there is significant swell, the day boats won't go out. The live aboards tuck in tight against the cays.

Just got back Saturday and sharks on every dive with eagle rays too. Sharks on G-Spot and Double D are up close and personal - way personal!

Forget the land based and get on Explorer Ventures or Aggressor. They spend most of their 27 dives on West Caicos and French Cay. You get a better price point and better diving with little drive time between sites. West Caicos is about 2 hours out of Caicos Marina on live aboard and an hour or so by fast boat. Besides, if there is significant swell, the day boats won't go out. The live aboards tuck in tight against the cays.

Just got back Saturday and sharks on every dive with eagle rays too. Sharks on G-Spot and Double D are up close and personal - way personal!

Sharks on G-spot wanted to join our dive group. I'm sure of it. Appeared up off the wall then swam around and right up next to our group. It was an amazing experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter so much where an operator appears to be based. If they're going to West Caicos or French Cay they'll have a boat leaving from the south side. A boat leaving from Turtle Cove Marina will be diving north like around Grace Bay or Northwest point, but not heading way around the island to go south - too long a trip for a day boat. (And West Caicos is even further from Grand Turk - way too far for a dayboat from there. AFAIK they don't even go to Salt Cay which is much closer, or across the channel to South Caicos, which IMO has some of the best T&C diving.)

French Cay and West Caicos are superior to GT BUT... it's either LOB or one long long boat ride. Always got back to Dive Provo around 3:15-4:30pm. Were new divers when I booked the trip, now all trip planning takes distance into account!!!

I found Salt Cay to have better diving than GT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom