Looking for destination advice late April-Early May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mintakax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife (avid topside photographer) has been my main dive partner for several years but she has recently lost some interest in diving. She has agreed to go on a Caribbean-like diving trip in late April or Early May if and only if there are interesting topside locations for her to photograph. I am an experienced underwater photographer, but have just started doing video instead of photos. I am looking for destination recomendations that will best fulfill both of us. We have been to Curacao and she has agreed to go there if nothing different pops up, also she has mentioned Nassau, but I am unfamiliar with the diving there. As far as underwater video subjects, I'm way more interested in Wide Angle and WA Closeups than macro. Sharks, Pelagics, turtles,morays, reef fish,pretty corals, etc. I've been to Indonesia twice and know I'm not going to get everything in the Caribbean , but at this point diving with the wife beats an Indo trip without her :wink:. She would also like to stay within 60 ft depths. Shore diving and a nice resort would both be huge plusses.

Thanks if you can make any suggestions !
Dan

Have you thought about a Belize combination trip. Seems like a lot to do topside and potential for while sharks at that time of year. Otherwise maybe a combo with Coz and Rivera Maya I can't remember when the bull sharks come to PDC. Another thought would Hawaii.

What are your preferred water temps? Nassua can be cool in the early Spring.

I like the Belize idea. There are some caveats. I'm told the best Belize diving is by live-aboard or from the atolls, rather than the mainland. But the mainland is where you get Mayan ruins, cave tubing (if memory serves), the Belize Zoo, rainforest, etc... If you can go over a week, perhaps a week of diving, and a few days of land tours? Go to Royal Caribbean Int.'s website and find the excursions page for the island you're interested in. That'll give you an idea what's available topside.

I don't hear people talking of Belize being particularly sharky. When people talk sharks in the Caribbean region, seems they generally talk about the lemon shark migration off Jupiter, Fl, some sharks off Jupiter through the year, shark feeding with Emerald Dive Charters out of Jupiter, some nurse & reef sharks off & on diving Key Largo, the Bahamas (where the best diving is said to be by live-aboard) and Turks & Caicos (where I'm told diving tends to be deep, which is also true of Jupiter). And of course coastal North Carolina, such as out of Morehead, but that tends to be wreck diving (with some deep ledge diving to the south).

Pelagics? Doesn't seem like many locations in the region get tagged with that. Your desires don't sound like a match for Tiger Beach diving in the Bahamas. Whale Sharks off Utila part of the year (I don't recall which part). I hear Cocos Island is done via live-aboard, which doesn't sound like your thing. Authentic wild dolphin encounters seem hit or miss most places.

What types of creatures are you calling 'pelagics?'

Have you been to Grand Cayman? Is a rather expensive trip feasible? I don't know just how scenic it would be topside, but I enjoyed the Turtle Farm on a visit.

If you're not too married to the idea of 'Caribbean-like,' and you want some knock out topside photo opportunities, have you considered one of the Hawaiian islands? Get that night dive with the mantas people praise so much. A friend of mine did a little shore diving there & got photos of really large basking sea turtles. And topside photos of coastal cliffs, masses of hardened old lava, lush vegetation, native people in outfits performing entertaining tourists, etc...

If you want Caribbean, are willing to spend a couple of days (I'm guessing) going & coming, and your idea of topside attractions entails lush rainforest type nature, some folks have been praising Dominica highly on the forum. Keeping in mind that Dominica and the Dominican Republic are not the same place! I've heard good things about Saba, but it's a much smaller island than Dominica, and at least the pinnacle diving is deep from what I understand (but there are shallower options).

Richard.

P.S.: You've been to Indonesia twice & Curacao at least once, but where else have you been? Knowing might help us describe other places in a relevant way, or alert us to places you know and maybe don't want to go back to.

Thanks for the suggestions so far ! We only have a week and I was hoping to dive as much as possible, which realistically means two dives a day with a couple of the afternoons devoted to topside photo excursions. We'd prefer not to do too much traveling once we get to the destination. For instance if we went to Curaçao again, the two afternoons would probably be trips into Willemstad. My wife likes photographing people, buildings, markets, etc as opposed to scenic subjects.

As for previous destinations : Raja Ampat, Banda Sea ,Coz, Bat Islands Costa Rica (lots of bull sharks), Cabo region, Curaçao, Bonaire, and many times Key Largo. My wife was with me on a few KL trips as well as Cabo,Bonaire,Curaçao and Raja Ampat. After the Raja trip she told me she was done with diving, although she has dove in Key Largo since then. Why done? I think a combination of factors including too much diving for her, too deep, too rushed, typical things on a group trip. She has ruled out live aboards.
For a dive trip, I probably wouldn't return to Costa Rica or Cabo

Richard, by pelagic, I guess I meant larger foraging fish like Tuna, Mackrel, etc. Species that would make good wide angle subjects for video. I don't HAVE to have the things on my list, I just thought I'd throw them out there. I was diving in Key Largo last weekend and on one dive we were surrounded by 6 reef sharks, however I don't recall seeing any sharks in Curaçao.

I considered Belize, but as Richard stated, it seemed the best diving was far from mainland. Probably worth more research ? Jenn and Richard - Hawaii is a bit far for this trip but we are scheduled for a trip there in 2016 with another couple (wife doesn't dive). Steve-- good point about temps in Nassau, for this trip I'm hoping for 80 F or greater. I have never been too warm on a dive��
I'm going to mention Saba and Dominica to my wife as possibilities !

Saba gives you much, but not all, of what you are looking for. No shore diving and the closest they come to a resort these days would be the Queen's Gardens hotel. But it does offer pinnacle diving, which gives you a decent chance of seeing the pelagics you want, plus lots of shallower sites that would make your wife happy. And the terrain offers lots of opportunities for many different types of nature photography and the villages are very picturesque.

Here is a video I recently found that offers reasons to visit Saba: Saba? on Vimeo

And it's the friendliest island in the Caribbean (I may be biased).

My only thought about Saba is - isn't it kinda primarily deep diving? That is why I have ruled it out so far for us - so I'm interested to hear more about the potential dive depths.

If its people and buildings (not ruins) and not much travel in between and she likes Curacao, I think that checks most of the boxes unless you guys just want to go someplace new. Of course there isn't really big stuff there.

However, look at Placencia in Belize. It would be a one stop destination with close by jungle and people. Whale sharks and the tuna run there I believe April-June but I am not an expert on that destination it just keeps popping up on my list. If you dont want long boat rides though, Blackbird Caye Resort (on an atoll) looks nice, but not much topside. Again check out when the bull sharks are in Playa because I think RM and Coz could also work for you guys if you want big stuff, plus I have heard Cozumel Palace is pretty swanky.

My only thought about Saba is - isn't it kinda primarily deep diving? That is why I have ruled it out so far for us - so I'm interested to hear more about the potential dive depths.

Saba does have its famous pinnacles, which start at about 90 feet down and a couple of other sites that run around 90 feet, but they have many excellent shallower sites. One of the expert speakers at last year's Sea and Learn posted this video of two of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pISij0Zqj90

The first, Customs House, is around 60 feet and the second, Tent Reef, runs from a depth of 50-60 feet to much shallower. The reef has a very shallow top about 15-20 feet, which is a great way to spend your safety stop.

Diving off of Ambergris Caye can deliver nurse sharks and reef sharks too. Grouper and the occasional school of larger fish. Last year i was watching the dolphin when two sailfish went by. Unfortunately I wasn't in the right place at the right time and i missed them. Lots of artsy shot to be taken of village life in San Pedro and Caye Caulker. After all no trip to Ambergris Caye is complete without a visit to Caye Caulker even if only for an afternoon.

No beach dives though.

It's true that the best diving is out at the Atolls. But if budget allows you could take a three tank day trip out to the Atolls.

---------- Post added February 6th, 2015 at 01:58 PM ----------

What about Roatan. Not many large pelagics there but still, there's dolphins around and sometimes whale sharks just no guarantees.

Wow -- thanks again all !! I'm going to spend a few hours researching Belize, we don't mind long boat rides and I'm not especially looking for an economical trip. A three tank day trip and a couple of two tank days and then moving somewhere more " photographic" for two days might work well. I haven't given up on Saba either. Bows to all for your advice :)

Back
Top Bottom