Diving at Jardines de la Reina in Cuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichDiver88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
The website about diving in Cuba are very limit information for US diver. I would like to have 3 or 4 night diving at Jardines de la Reina however I do only see they offer 6+ days of accommodation on the boat. I couldn't find if they are offer a day diving or up for 4 nights of diving. Does anyone know if anything they offer what I am looking? If not then I guess I would book a stay at Cayo Largo or Isla de la Juventud for few days of diving. :depressed:

Jardines de la Reina is far off. You need to travel for half a day or so to get there. The only option is liveaboard because of the remote location from shore. Tortuga, this sort of floating hotel, is close to the diving, but still you need to take a long trip to get to Tortuga.

Jardines is a treat, really nice diving, nice sharks, excellent food, nice crews. It is a fantastic experience.

Ive also done Isla de la Juventud, from the one and only hotel there is (hehehe), and it's ok, but keep in mind that's another day's worth of travelling between flying to Isla and then getting a ride to the hotel is about 2.5 hours if not 3. My memory aint that good.

I would definetively spend a few more days and do Jardines. The boats are nice (different ones available with different price points throughout the year). If you prefer a more "solid" option because you are not much of a liveaboard person, then Tortuga might be your thing. It's all the same sites and same operator, so worry not about it.

I know Jardines de la Reina is number 1 diving spot in Cuba. The problem for me is that they only offer minimum 5 days accommodation on boat. I have 9 days in Cuba. 4 days in Havana and the rest of days is either Jardines de la Reina, Isla de la Juventud, or Varadero. I was hoping they can offer 3 days Accommodation on either Tortuga or other liveaboard boat included diving package at Jardines de la Reina.

I understand, but the problem lies in distance. Getting to where you sail off takes a while. You take a bus there. It doesn't make sense to go through all that trouble for 3 days. That's why they don't offer that option. You will loose one day in and one day out of Jardines ...

Now, Isla de la Juventud is not going to be much better. Between flying and then driving to the hotel ... that's a whole day between this and that. Also, sites off Isla de la Juventud are a 2 hour boat ride if you get one of the faster boats. It's cuba, so nothing ever works the way it should. I believe you should re-evaluate your options, because if you only have 3 or 4 days I don't think either Isla or Jardines are an option. But then again, I would either extend my stay in Cuba (worthwhile), and also reconsider so many days in Habana. Not much there.

The diving at the Garden of the Queen is 5 diving days, 15 dives, running Sunday-Friday. Very cumbersome to get to. I am a solo diver from US thinking about going there for diving April 11-17, living on the Tortuga. My son and wife bailed out on me, and I am looking for a diver to share the room, Anyone interested please respond.
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom