Hello all. Where to go; Bonaire, Belize, Roatan, Caymans?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Billfish1

New
Reaction score
New to forum and stumbled on this site while researching a dive trip for this summer.

Would love to hear anyone's opinions or comparison's between these four possible dive locations. Wife, daughter, and I are recreational divers with wife being the less adventurous type of diver than daughter and I. Wife also less willing to rough it when it comes to accomodations or amenities when diving. Let me hear from anyone.

P.S. I love what Roatan Man writes and would love to do a trip with him, but unsure how my wife would feel about activities other than diving.

Billfish1:
New to forum and stumbled on this site while researching a dive trip for this summer.

Would love to hear anyone's opinions or comparison's between these four possible dive locations. Wife, daughter, and I are recreational divers with wife being the less adventurous type of diver than daughter and I. Wife also less willing to rough it when it comes to accomodations or amenities when diving. Let me hear from anyone.

P.S. I love what Roatan Man writes and would love to do a trip with him, but unsure how my wife would feel about activities other than diving.

I think this is what you were saying....

You and your daughter are adventurous divers, willing to learn, expand and develop your dive experiences (with challenging conditions that are explained by a DM). Your bride is happy with simpler diving, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Your lady is also less willing to rough it in terms of accomodations (rooms) or

dive operation inadequacies.

Your wife also is in search of some non-dive entertainment.

If I got that right ....

Then I would have eliminated Roatan from the equation of your post topic. There is no such accomodation on Roatan. The diving however is pretty much so dirt simple and easy-breezy. There are simply no "elegant" resorts in the Bay Islands... yet. They're all pretty much roughing it- some rougher than others. Some will actually rent you a converted metal shipping container with windows and electricity. These are very inexpensive but probably good if a storm hits :D. On the other end are resorts like FIBR that try to gild the lilly by stumbling through attempts at upscale simulations. An honest representation a good room on Roatan would be AKR, CCV, BiBR and IoLR. They have all about the same rooms, but everything outside your doorstep including pure location is radically different (and :11: important) within those other four. There's not a whole lot to do for a non-diver, but a snorkeler or 'every other dive' diver could be entertained plenty. Horseback riding, jungle canopy tour, iguana farm, etc. Just not enough for a non-diver.

Belize, at least the out islands (remember that Belize is a country, Belize City is a city, and the out islands are Heaven!) is highly recommended by many. Fabulous resorts that are quite elegant- even in their primitive motif- are inviting for many. Much of the diving is a 25 minute ride from most resorts due to reef structure. Good dive ops, precious little to do other than dive- other than on Ambergis and larger keys- which are getting to be a new "South Cozumel".

Bonaire is also a delight. Much to do, and the resorts are varied and comodious. The resort boat diving is quite simple and lots to see nearby your resort. I am spoiled- when Bonaire resorts claim great resort based shore diving, I can't agree after seeing Roatan. The shore diving off resorts is however spectacular. Is your bride willing to do a rough and tumble shore entry through iron shore? That's is part of the bargain. Maybe you and the young gal can shore dive while Mom watches the car or goes boat diving- that could work well. The off the beaten path restaurants are a wonder- if you have a sense of adventure. :11ztongue

Cayman? If you can afford the toll, by all means go for it. It combines the best of all of the above. The best accomodations (even the worst are pretty nice), lots of shopping, sightseeing, safe environs, pretty nice roads, easy diving plus the Stingray City thing, no resort based shore diving when compared to other islands, and overall shore diving is very limited. Dive ops know how to cater to the less than 'expert' divers, and sometimes go a bit overboard- maybe not such a bad thing. You and the daughter might try North or east diving if the weather agrees, or you could try one of the deeper wall dives, maybe Tarpon Alley. Mom would love the boat dives! The choices of restaurants will keep you busy all week.

Each island has it's positives and uniques. I would try them all, make a plan to do it! :crafty:

the Caymans are on the expensive side, and Grand Cayman is probably the most expensive island in the Caribbean, albeit the diving is good. also, it is a tourist mecca, so your wife will have a blast in Georgetown.

I hear Belize and Roatan, while awesome, can be on the "rough" side.

i would go for Bonaire, and maybe make a day trip to Aruba for your wife.

Consider Dominica. Its off-the-beaten path, beautiful, interesting to explore, easy-to-difficult hikes and walks, whale watching, easy great small-critter boat diving, and range of simple to more elegant accomodations. I loved it and plan on returning some day.
Glo

I do not "Rough it." That being said, I loved Roatan - stayed at CoCo View. Got lots of different types of dives, wall, wreck, canyons, and a great shore dive in their front yard. Plenty of air conditioning, good food and great people.
Secondly, Grand Cayman is not pricey if you know where to go. Look around for some of the non-chain (ie: don't go to the Hyatt) places. There is at least one place on 7 mile beach and a number of places on the East End that offer very relaxed settings at inexpensive prices.

Happy Diving!

Howdy!

Welcome to SB!!
:happywave Put us in your computer's favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue: Look around our various forums.

There's hundreds of personal trip reports in the Caribbean and Central America forums, if you'd like hundreds of opinions.

don

:D

RoatanMan:
I think this is what you were saying....

You and your daughter are adventurous divers, willing to learn, expand and develop your dive experiences (with challenging conditions that are explained by a DM). Your bride is happy with simpler diving, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Your lady is also less willing to rough it in terms of accomodations (rooms) or

dive operation inadequacies.

Your wife also is in search of some non-dive entertainment.

If I got that right ....

Then I would have eliminated Roatan from the equation of your post topic. There is no such accomodation on Roatan. The diving however is pretty much so dirt simple and easy-breezy. There are simply no "elegant" resorts in the Bay Islands... yet. They're all pretty much roughing it- some rougher than others. Some will actually rent you a converted metal shipping container with windows and electricity. These are very inexpensive but probably good if a storm hits :D. On the other end are resorts like FIBR that try to gild the lilly by stumbling through attempts at upscale simulations. An honest representation a good room on Roatan would be AKR, CCV, BiBR and IoLR. They have all about the same rooms, but everything outside your doorstep including pure location is radically different (and :11: important) within those other four. There's not a whole lot to do for a non-diver, but a snorkeler or 'every other dive' diver could be entertained plenty. Horseback riding, jungle canopy tour, iguana farm, etc. Just not enough for a non-diver.

Belize, at least the out islands (remember that Belize is a country, Belize City is a city, and the out islands are Heaven!) is highly recommended by many. Fabulous resorts that are quite elegant- even in their primitive motif- are inviting for many. Much of the diving is a 25 minute ride from most resorts due to reef structure. Good dive ops, precious little to do other than dive- other than on Ambergis and larger keys- which are getting to be a new "South Cozumel".

Bonaire is also a delight. Much to do, and the resorts are varied and comodious. The resort boat diving is quite simple and lots to see nearby your resort. I am spoiled- when Bonaire resorts claim great resort based shore diving, I can't agree after seeing Roatan. The shore diving off resorts is however spectacular. Is your bride willing to do a rough and tumble shore entry through iron shore? That's is part of the bargain. Maybe you and the young gal can shore dive while Mom watches the car or goes boat diving- that could work well. The off the beaten path restaurants are a wonder- if you have a sense of adventure. :11ztongue

Cayman? If you can afford the toll, by all means go for it. It combines the best of all of the above. The best accomodations (even the worst are pretty nice), lots of shopping, sightseeing, safe environs, pretty nice roads, easy diving plus the Stingray City thing, no resort based shore diving when compared to other islands, and overall shore diving is very limited. Dive ops know how to cater to the less than 'expert' divers, and sometimes go a bit overboard- maybe not such a bad thing. You and the daughter might try North or east diving if the weather agrees, or you could try one of the deeper wall dives, maybe Tarpon Alley. Mom would love the boat dives! The choices of restaurants will keep you busy all week.

Each island has it's positives and uniques. I would try them all, make a plan to do it! :crafty:

RoatanMan,

I am planning a trip to Grand Cayman in late August and wondered if you thought that was a little risky with the Hurricane season approaching and the researchers expecting a heavy season? My second question is this, I am going with my girlfriend who is not as excited about diving as I am so I have to split my time with diving and other island tourism. Does Grand Cayman have enough for both of us to be satisfied or are there better options for that time of year. I have also considered Cozumel and Costa Rica. Any suggestions would be great, you sound like you have a lot of experience down there.

Billfish1:

I've done Grand Cayman twice, Bonaire once. I personally dislike resorts, I find I'm paying for a lot of stuff I don't use. I start to feel confined by a single room, and I get sick of eating in restaurants every meal after a couple of days. I prefer to stay in condos (Grand Cayman) or Villas (Bonaire). Both are in ready supply.

Cayman Advantages:
-Lots to do, as the island is very (too?) built up.
-Closer to U.S., if that's your point of departure.
-More flexible in many ways. We stayed at the Treasure Island Condos (as opposed to the Treasure Island Resort), which is about 150 yards from the Treasure Island Divers (no affiliation to either the resort or the condos, go figure). We rented one car, I dove in the AM, rejoined the family by 11:00, they weren't stuck without a car.
Cayman Disadvantages:
-Currency pegged to the U.S. $ plus 20%. Can get pricey.
-Shore diving is limited, and the shore sites are beat up pretty good (Eden Rock is an example).
-Very (too?) built up. Don't even think about trying to travel North on Seven Mile road at 5:00pm -6:00pm. Carribean islands shouldn't have traffic jams, and I'm from Boston, and have lived with our "Big Dig" traffic for 10 years.
-West side sites can have pretty significant fin damage.

Bonaire Advantages:
-CHEAP diving. But for Klein Bonaire, the small island off the coast, it's all shore diving, with REALLY easy entries, and VERY short swims. We're talking maybe 50 yards tops on most dives. There's nothing at Klein that I didn't see on shore dives. Given that it's shore diving, there is complete flexiblity on scheduling. It was interesting seeing dive boats at some sites moor 40 yards offshore while we were having post-dive beers on the beach. More $ for beer.
-Restaurants were, in my opinion, better on average than on Grand Cayman, and cheaper.
-The Villa we stayed at was just north of the main town of Kralendijk, was right on the beach (dive site called "Cliff"), so night diving was great. Suit up, walk in, shower off in outdoor shower. My brother in law and I stayed in a villa that slept up to 10, for only $100 each per night (November "rainy season").
-pristine dive conditions
-NO HURRICANES. EVER. Rainly season means 5 minutes of rain.
Bonaire Disadvantages:
-Dive, dive dive. If you're with a non or casual diver, there's nothing else to do.
-Spectacular under water, butt ugly above. This place is a desert.
-Shopping sucks. Fine by me, but my wife (a non diver) would have hated it.

With the family, I prefer GC, without and with an all -diver crew, Bonaire gets my vote.

i can't speak as to bonaire, but joecad's assesment of GC is dead on. i can extrapolate
that his assesment of Bonaire is likewise right on target.

very good reports

Back
Top Bottom