Antigua???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jimmyboy:
Has anyone done any diving in Antigua?? Any info about the diving and operators/resorts would be helpful. Thanks

I dived there in 1989. Dived at what what them Halcyon Resort, adjoining the Sandals Resort The diving was about average for the Caribbean. Halcyon has been taken over by someone else. Timeshare I think.

Dove with the on-site dive op at Curtain Bluff. The diving was average to below average for Caribbean diving.

Tim Ingersoll:
Dove with the on-site dive op at Curtain Bluff. The diving was average to below average for Caribbean diving.

i was in antigua last week. i stayed at the sandals resort. the diving, as said in a previous post, was below normal. i am comparing this to roatan and new providence bahamas. i thought the reefs were in sad shape compared to the other places i have been. i also did not do alot of diving, as i was there for my daughters wedding.
i belive there is only one or two dive operators on the island. they may be able to take you to some better spots. i think most of the diving is handled by the resort you will be staying at.
now for the good news, i did see a stingray, octopus, and lobster, along with an assortment of other fish. and on my last dive as i descended, i looked down and there were hundreds of jellyfish, for me this was great, as i find jellyfish fascinating. and i was not stung as i descended and ascended.
at sandals all the diving was included in the price of the stay. they said all inclusive and ment it, no tipping(in thr price, i aint that cheap), food, drink, and drink includes all adult bevrages. put my wallet in the safe and didnt take it out except to go to town and buy trinkets.

I dived antigua back in 2002, I booked the dives via internet and the day I was supposed to be picked up at the cruise ship dock, I received a note in the cruse that the trip was full and the other available operator was waiting for me at their shop, no transportation to get there.

I wanted to dive so I took a taxi and get to resort and found a very poor operation, the condition of the boat was hazardous, the gear that they rented and they used was very abused.

They were very friendly but everything else was disgusting.

Dives were average if not below average compared to other places in the caribbean.

As said before, operator was very nice and friendly but the operation lacked any profesionalism.

As a result, I erased antigua from my visit list, in a previous visit to the island, I found everything was very expensive compared to all other islands.

Just my 2cents

Antigua gets a bad rap because most of the dive operators dive Cades Reef.
And the vast majority of the islands sits on a sandy shelf so not a lot of depth and
Cades is a relatively quick trip from the cruise ship dock.

The one area of Antigua that has depth and more variety is the English Harbour area. There are 2 dive ops in English Harbour - the AntiguaScuba Centre (www.antiguascuba.com, email: info@antiguascuba.com) and
Aquanaut Divers (email: aquanaut@candw.ag).

It's a 30 minute cab drive from the dock and the advantage here is that you can do a 2-tank dive, tour Nelson's Dockyard, grab a bite to eat and then head back to the ship.

MaraGirl:
Antigua gets a bad rap because most of the dive operators dive Cades Reef.
And the vast majority of the islands sits on a sandy shelf so not a lot of depth and
Cades is a relatively quick trip from the cruise ship dock.

The one area of Antigua that has depth and more variety is the English Harbour area. There are 2 dive ops in English Harbour - the AntiguaScuba Centre (www.antiguascuba.com, email: info@antiguascuba.com) and
Aquanaut Divers (email: aquanaut@candw.ag).

It's a 30 minute cab drive from the dock and the advantage here is that you can do a 2-tank dive, tour Nelson's Dockyard, grab a bite to eat and then head back to the ship.

Great first post. Welcome to Scubaboard!!!

Just got back from a week on Antigua. Dove 4 days with Ultramarine, they operate out of the St. James Club near English Harbour. Very pleased with the operation & the diving; visibilty was limited to about 30 feet due to recent storms, but sea life was abundant and the coral good. Dove in 30 - 90 feet, wall dives & reefs. Saw turtles, a nurse shark, and the usual cast of carribbean tropicals. They were supposed to get a new, dedicated dive boat (we dove from a big RIB) the day after we left that will let them make longer trips to the reefs. They have a satallite station at Sunsail Club Colonna on the North side of the Island, where we stayed, and run a van to and from the boat. They told me they have a web page but I have never found it; try this number.

Ultramarine Antigua Club Colonna, Hodges Bay, St. Johns, Antigua & Barbuda - (268) 463-3483

jimmyboy:
Has anyone done any diving in Antigua?? Any info about the diving and operators/resorts would be helpful. Thanks

Antigua is where I learned to dive. My stepdad used to own Octopus Divers in St. John's. I believe it is still in operation although he no longer instructs there. If it is still open I would check it out. It was a lovely small business with a home-y feel, and all the staff were very nice. I know you may think that I am hyping it up because I knew the people, but really, all in all it was fantastic. I haven't dove anywhere since that had such nice staff. Oh!! And when you go diving there BE SURE to ask about Stingray Alley! It's the best! It's a small area not too far off shore (about 20 - 30 feet deep) where all you see is flat ocean floor with occasional two bumps protruding from the bottom....stingray eyes!...there were tons of them when I went there. Happy diving and let us all know what you think when you come back!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom