reasonable-priced diving in the English-speaking Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverkim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Could anyone suggest to me where in the English-speaking part of the Caribbean (I know every tourist destination will have English-speaking staff but I am referring to the mother tongue of the locals) one can find the best diving package.

:eyebrow:

Bonaire would fit the bill. While the official language of Bonaire is Dutch and Papiamentu is commonly spoken, English is spoken by almost everyone on the island. I have never been anyhere on the island where langauge was a problem. Air to Bonaire can be expensive but the low cost of dive packages make up for it. The typical cost for unlilmited tanks for shore diving is $100 US. 6 boat dives add about $100. It's easy to get in 4 or 5 dives a day. Food on the island is somewhat more expensive than here in NC but not by much. Accomidations run the gambet from fairly inexpensive to somewhat expensive. The cheapest place I know of is $250pp for 7 nights, this includes unlimited air tanks, it goes up from there.

The Bay Islands of Honduras were long ago settled by folks from English speaking areas. Even though Honduras is a Spanish speaking nation, you'll find that the locals in Roatan, Utila, and Guanaja speak English.

Otherwise, I'd suggest Belize. It was once known as British Honduras, and English is the language.

diverkim:
Could anyone suggest to me where in the English-speaking part of the Caribbean (I know every tourist destination will have English-speaking staff but I am referring to the mother tongue of the locals) one can find the best diving package.

:eyebrow:

If you're interested in little critters (sea horses, shrimp, crabs, and other bottom dwellers), Dive St. Vincent (St. Vincent and the Grenadines) offers a lot at attractive prices.

US Virgin Islands (St. Thomas, St. John, St. Croix) is probably the least expensive place to go, particularly if you are from the US. No exchange rate worries. Diving is pretty darn good, food is excellent, variety of hotels in all price ranges. Driving is on the left, strangely, even though USVI is part of the USA.

Bonaire is a little on the expensive side, but it can be done on the cheap if you don't stay in a luxury hotel. Diving is incredible, food is excellent, though somewhat pricey. Everyone speaks very good English (as well as Dutch, Spanish, the local creole, and maybe French and/or German), so there is no language barrier.

For spots we've visited that haven't been in the Caribbean storm news this summer, Dominica (we liked East Carib Dive), St. Croix (we liked Cane Bay Dive Shop), and Belize would be ones you might want to look in to.

Back
Top Bottom