Help re: Provo/Grand Turk in June and July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glimmerel

Registered
Reaction score
My fiance and I are considering a trip to TCI the last week of June to the first week in July. We were planning to stay on Provo first, then fly over to Grand Turk but had a few questions about the islands.

First, does anyone know the water conditions during that time of year in terms of how rough the water will be from Provo to West Caicos for diving? I hear that the Caicos Adventures boat gives a pretty smoothe ride, but the 45 minute choppy trip may be too much for multiple dives days and from what I've read on this and other forums, the other sites from Provo are nothing great.

Second, where are the best places to stay on Provo and on Grand Turk (especially) for snorkeling? We are looking for after diving sites rather than snorkeling trips. While we tend to dive 2 to 3 tanks a day, we like to snorkel or do other acitivites in the afternoon. I heard that the reef outside Coral Gardens on Provo was decent but have seen nothing on the forums about snorkeling elsewhere on either Provo or Grand Turk.

Third, is it really that hard to get food on Grand Turk? I read a message on this site that you had to get to the store the day the food arrived (how do you know which day?) or there were really slim pick'ns. While we tend to eat out, a few breakfast/snacks always help the budget.

Finally, is the luggage 'delay' from Provo to Grand Turk a delay due to space/weight or due to lost luggage that may come in a few days later?

Any advice/insight on any of the above will be greatly appreciated.

Christine

After you do the wall dives on Grand Turk, the snorkeling doesn't seem worth the effort unless you go to Gibbs Cay and snorkel for lunch conch. Food can be a little hard to find on GT - forget it on Sundays - the island flat-out closes except for the ours that the restaurants are open.
You kow, if I was going back to GT, I'd Fedex stuff there first. Fedex is all over the Caribbean now, and more and more people are shipping luggage and dive gear that way. The little puddle jumper is notorious for leaving luggage back - we got our stuff the next morning ok, but think about sending stuff ahead.
We stayed with Colin at Island House. He lets you use one of his trucks to get around. I wouldn't stay anywhere else - we had to split our stay at the Salt Raker Inn, and it paled by comparison. Colin was so cool he let us use the truck while we stayed there.
Provo is too developed for my tastes. I had a great time there, but once was enough. After a few days, my dives consisted of going over the walls to 200'+ and just working my way back up. I just couldn't find any big critters, even swimminng way out into the blue.
Have fun.

After diving in the TCI for many years I have found that it can be hot or cold. I have had weeks of unbelievable encounters and I have had weeks of average diving. Its hard to predict what you will find. I have never found the water conditions prohibitive (i.e.: I have never seen anyone feed the fish because of the seas). I am not a snorkeler so I can't help you there. Don't worry about starving. Just plan on doing your major grocery shopping on GT the day the food comes in. Your resort can tell you which day that is currently. The luggage delay is purely weight/space related. Don't worry about it. You'll get what you need. Just pack your carry-on carefully and check in on Provo as soon as you land.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom