Trip Report - Grand Turk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pm3009

Reaction score
Just returned from a week in Grand Turk. Had an awesome trip!! The island is very small and reminded me of Roatan. Nothing to do besides Dive Dive Dive! :) GREAT reefs. GREAT visibility!! Nice SHORT boat rides to the Reefs!! Glad that we chose Grand Turk over Provo.

We stayed at the Osprey, and if I went back, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. We had one of the renovated rooms. Nice and clean, and the hotel is oceanfront. The other couple hotels seem to be across the street from the ocean. Dining is outdoors and oceanfront. :) Good entertainment on Sundays and Wednesdays.

We dove with Blue Water Divers.....Hi Mitch!! We were very happy with Mitch. He's a riot!! Had us all to his house for rum punch one night. Nice small groups.
Would definitely dive with Mitch if we went back. Oasys seemed to be a much larger operation, and I prefer the smaller operators.

Met a lot of great people there. Hey John and Daniel !!!

Back to Cozumel in July!!!!

Happy Diving!!!

Pam :goldfish: :goldfish: :goldfish:

pm3009:
Just returned from a week in Grand Turk. Had an awesome trip!! The island is very small and reminded me of Roatan. Nothing to do besides Dive Dive Dive! :) GREAT reefs. GREAT visibility!! Nice SHORT boat rides to the Reefs!! Glad that we chose Grand Turk over Provo.

We stayed at the Osprey, and if I went back, I wouldn't stay anywhere else. We had one of the renovated rooms. Nice and clean, and the hotel is oceanfront. The other couple hotels seem to be across the street from the ocean. Dining is outdoors and oceanfront. :) Good entertainment on Sundays and Wednesdays.

We dove with Blue Water Divers.....Hi Mitch!! We were very happy with Mitch. He's a riot!! Had us all to his house for rum punch one night. Nice small groups.
Would definitely dive with Mitch if we went back. Oasys seemed to be a much larger operation, and I prefer the smaller operators.

Happy Diving!!!

Sounds like a great trip. Why do you say that you are glad you chose Grand Turk over diving at Provo? Have you dove yourself on Provo before and now you are comparing it to GT? Or, are you saying you are glad just because of the people you met you don't think you would have met on Provo?
I have not dove both either, I have dove on Provo and really enjoyed it. I'm just wondering why you made that statement.

Thanks,
Caymaniac

So what did you see? Any big stuff?

I have dived both GT (w. Mitch) & Provo & would say that the diving is marginally better on GT but for atmosphere GT beats Provo hands down. Salt Cay & South Caicos have better diving than both - we saw a lot of sharks on South Caicos.

pm3009:

Happy Diving!!!

Was thinking of going to Grand Turk in Feb, not sure, and was wondering how GT compared to Provo, and other parts of Turks and Caicos? I realize it's very quiet, that's ok, but was wondering if the diving is good? The Osprey Beach Hotel was one of the places that was recommended and would like to hear from other divers that have stayed there. Thanks

I still owe my trip report from last month... although I enjoyed the Salt Raker, I would definitely stay at the Osprey Beach next time. Re diving, yes it is better than Provo, and a HECKUVA lot more convenient!! Can we say five minutes??!!

I dove with Oasis, and loved'em, although this is a veeeery slow time of the year, and thus I got some special treatment. I met Mitch and his guys at Blue Water too, and wouldn't hesitate to dive with them.

I got really lucky with dolphins, but didn't see a lot of other big stuff. They used to see a lot more mantas, but not so much anymore... no one knows why. They get a lot of pelagic gamefish in the late spring and early summer, but don't dive blue water for them much... I intend to go back and get them to do so. Everett at Oasis told me the humpbacks are *totally* reliable from 2/15-3/31 every year.

BTW, for whatever reason, every one there does fantastic in terms of breathing. Pretty much every dive, even down past 100 feet, was over an hour. Not drifts either, just really relaxed. I swear, one of the DMs I had, I'm pretty sure I never saw him actually *kick* his fins!

rpodos:
I still owe my trip report from last month... although I enjoyed the Salt Raker, I would definitely stay at the Osprey Beach next time. Re diving, yes it is better than Provo, and a HECKUVA lot more convenient!! Can we say five minutes??!!

I dove with Oasis, and loved'em, although this is a veeeery slow time of the year, and thus I got some special treatment. I met Mitch and his guys at Blue Water too, and wouldn't hesitate to dive with them.

I got really lucky with dolphins, but didn't see a lot of other big stuff. They used to see a lot more mantas, but not so much anymore... no one knows why. They get a lot of pelagic gamefish in the late spring and early summer, but don't dive blue water for them much... I intend to go back and get them to do so. Everett at Oasis told me the humpbacks are *totally* reliable from 2/15-3/31 every year.

BTW, for whatever reason, every one there does fantastic in terms of breathing. Pretty much every dive, even down past 100 feet, was over an hour. Not drifts either, just really relaxed. I swear, one of the DMs I had, I'm pretty sure I never saw him actually *kick* his fins!

Osprey Hotel seems to be the deal then. Oasis was also recommeded so I guess that is the onsite Dive Op? Where did you eat while at Osprey? Did you do an AI? How was the small plane ride over to GT? Thanks, Richard.

I didn't stay at the Osprey, but at the Salt Raker. There are basically only four easily accessible restaurants, so I rotated among them (not AI). Oasis is not on-site at the Osprey, but just down the road (Blue Water is across the street). Plane ride was fine... we stopped in Salt Cay first, and I'm pretty sure that I saw the dolphin pod that I later dived with from the plane.

[Hey, pilot fish, I just noticed you are in NYC too... we should grab a beer some time]

rpodos:
I didn't stay at the Osprey, but at the Salt Raker. There are basically only four easily accessible restaurants, so I rotated among them (not AI). Oasis is not on-site at the Osprey, but just down the road (Blue Water is across the street). Plane ride was fine... we stopped in Salt Cay first, and I'm pretty sure that I saw the dolphin pod that I later dived with from the plane.

[Hey, pilot fish, I just noticed you are in NYC too... we should grab a beer some time]

Kewl. PM me.

Back
Top Bottom