Antigua?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

robbcayman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My fiance and I are looking at Antigua along with a million other place for our honeymoon. We have several months before we go but we want an all inclusive with a romantic feel and good diving. We are looking at Antigua through Sandals Resort. Has anyone ever got to dive Antigua? If so what did you think? Thanks

robbcayman:
If so what did you think? Thanks

My wife and I got our certification in Antigua (Sandals). Generally speaking the resort was very nice and the dive staff and boat were good. But, the diving was not interesting, not much to see in the way of marine life and there were no interesting reefs or wrecks that we saw. The main town is not overly interesting either. Perhaps a better Sandals location would be St. Lucia or the Bahamas.

Sean

Thanks Sean. I will take your advice!!

Sean C:
My wife and I got our certification in Antigua (Sandals). Generally speaking the resort was very nice and the dive staff and boat were good. But, the diving was not interesting, not much to see in the way of marine life and there were no interesting reefs or wrecks that we saw. The main town is not overly interesting either. Perhaps a better Sandals location would be St. Lucia or the Bahamas.

Sean
As far as Antigua goes, I think that the better diving is the south-east coast - that's the English Harbour area - it's mini-walls, good coral health, plenty of fish etc.. Sandals is on the other side of the island and on that side, it's shallow and sandy and limited reef. The Sandals in St.Lucia is considered much nicer than the one here in Antigua - and I have not heard any complaints about the diving there either.

MaraGirl, sorry if my views were overly harsh, not my intention. I just wanted to be clear on what the original poster could expect from a diving trip with the Antigua Sandals Group. I am glad to hear that there is some good diving on the island.

Cheers

Sean

I did dive off the southeast coast of Antigua and would not consider it a dedicated dive destination. Sean C's assessment was right on. No offense, Just IMHO.

I would agree.
Antigua is a great place to go on holiday and do a couple of dives but in my opinion its not a place for a diving holiday.

Doug

Tim Ingersoll:
I did dive off the southeast coast of Antigua and would not consider it a dedicated dive destination. Sean C's assessment was right on. No offense, Just IMHO.
I never claimed that Antigua is a diving destination - merely that English Harbour has better diving than the side of the island where Sandals is located. Besides, I thought you stayed at Curtain Bluff when you were here and as far as I know, they don't dive English Harbour. Who did you dive with ?

Sean C:
MaraGirl, sorry if my views were overly harsh, not my intention. I just wanted to be clear on what the original poster could expect from a diving trip with the Antigua Sandals Group. I am glad to hear that there is some good diving on the island.

Cheers

Sean

Sean - no offense taken - you are the not the first diver to make that particular assessment regarding diving the Sandals sites or rather that side of the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom