Dolphins!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpodos

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, I coulda put this into my "Grand Turk for a week, and then Bahamas?" thread, and I *promise* to do a proper trip report later, but... wait'll ya read this. :) BTW, if you've been reading any of my related threads, I came here looking for mantas. :wink:

:lol:

So I got to Grand Turk yesterday, nice place, quiet. Staying at The Salt Raker Inn, which has a lot of history, but not a very good sense of time! (This'll make sense in a sec)

So, I set my battery operated clock to the time on the phone... unfortunately (NOT!), the phone clock was about 50 minutes slow. So, in the morning, I get to Oasis Divers Shop thinking it's about 8:30am, when in fact it's 9:20am, and I;ve missed the first boat!!

Bummer. (NOT!!)

Everett very nicely agrees to send me out on one of their 24-footers alone with a DM, and another DM comes along to pick up a dropped weight belt (Tiro and Sean, respectively, for those that have been here). Psyched!!

So that's pretty cool. We go out for the dive, I am properly impressed by the 7000 foot wall. And then, on the way back to the boat, AWESOME, a pod of 5 dolphins, including a baby! :) Maybe 20 feet away!

We follow them a bit, but they dart off... we head back on top of the wall, and DANG, another pod of 4, definitely a different group.

I have died and gone to heaven!!! I was having trouble keeping water outta my mask, smiling so big!

So, we safety stop and end the dive. We get up, we;re dealing with gear, and Tyro (who has an insanely great sense of the waters around here), shouts out "There they are!... And there are some more!!... and...."

Turns out this was a pod of 40-50 ATLANTIC DOLPHINS!!!

So now we're all about keeping them entertained... boat turns, fast, slow, snorkeling, you name it. Did one snorkel at maybe 25 feet with three dolphins maybe 5 feet away, as long as I could... I dolphin kicked, of course. :)

Dolphins EVERYWHERE... all three of us couldn't help but scanning and pointing... There! There! There!

I don't know if this actually helped, but on the day before I came here, on a whim I stopped by a Petco and actually bought a silent dog whistle (around 7-8kHZ, I'd guess) and a training clicker... this morning I was lying down on the bow of the boat, one hand trailing in the water, wildly clicking or whistling, and groups of 3-5 dolphins kept swimming in to pace the boat right under me, turning on their sides or even all the way upside down, hopefully, I think, checking out the weird noises coming from the human!

We had 40 minutes or so with'em. :07:

And if I had set my clock right, and gone on the 9am boat, this wouldn't have happened. :D

Awesome story! Very happy for you to have experienced that.. I hope that I can see something like that one day..but until then.. I'll just have to enjoy reading about it.

The quest continues...

So, I am on Great Abaco and *totally* exhausted; Tim Higgs at Abaco Diving Adventures took me out with his nephew and father (who has been diving here for over 40 years!) to a special part of the sound where they keep lobster traps. We dove using a hookah, three of us at a time, at over 30 sites for EIGHT HOURS! Updownupdownupdown... All 15-20 feet or so, so no DCS issues, just tired.

For the last two hours we had a pod of 20 bottlenose dolphins hanging out with us!! Diving, snorkeling, leaping around the boat. One of them took a particular interest in me, and kept swimming by, and SONARed me!! I think he was a juvenile, and I was the first human he ever checked out. It was pretty cool. Did I mention I'm tired... and TOTALLY psyched? :)

I love it when it all comes together like that and you realize that this is why you dive. You are living a moment that people dream of.

OK, this is ridiculous, first off, I am still exhausted, as it is 1) very hot and humid here, 2) the AC in my room barely works, so, as tired as I was last night I barely slept, and 3) Tim took me out on three fairly intense dives today.

But, back on-topic:

There's no one here, so Tim took me out on his own 18 footer, a little bit of exploring. We were cruising up the east side of Guana Cay, when... YOU GUESSED IT... more bottlenose dolphins! :)

I wouldn't call it a pod; Tim and I both thought it to be three pairs of mother-adolescent due to size and behavior. The three pairs were sort of going our way, on sandy flats varying from about 15-30 feet, separating and then coming back together as a group, taking their time. Seemed like lessons, and so they were consequently a bit shy, but stayed with us on and off for about 45 minutes. They did some bow riding/crossing along the way... the water was crystal and the sand was white, so we had no problem seeming them even when they were at the bottom or pretty far off to the side.

The best part: Tim keeps a 20 foot line tied off on the port stern of the boat, so I jumped in and got towed at 2-4 knots for about 20 minutes... the dolphins were consistently about 25 feet in front of me, ranging from the bottom to the surface.

Woooooowwwwww. Grace... :)

The two of us just kept shaking our heads after... two days in a row. That said, I am heading up to Green Turtle Cay tomorrow to see what Brendal comes up with! :)

[Trip report down the road, I promise, but I gotta finish the GTI one first]

Tim Ingersoll:
I love it when it all comes together like that and you realize that this is why you dive. You are living a moment that people dream of.

Yeah, I am sort of stunned. Even though coming off Grand Turk I had specifically researched, planned, and coordinated this trip, I certainly didn;t expect this... :)

I am still so surprised that it took me this long to find Scubaboard... this and Undercurrent have been immeasurably valuable. :star:

Bummer... got to Bimini from Abaco after three goddawful days of travel, and could only get in one attempted dolphin swim with Bimini Undersea. Five hours on the boat, and no joy.

Oh well, a reason to go back, I guess. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom