Hurricane Paloma & Cayman Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Eeesh, I just booked a trip to the Cayman Islands, leaving in a month from now and just came across this report of Hurricane Paloma slamming right into Grand Cayman:

Hurricane Paloma targets Cayman Islands -

Does anyone have any info from the ground down there, or know anything based on past experience? Are we talking lots of rain and evacuations for a few days and then back to business as usual, or are we talking another Hurricane Gustav-style swath of destruction that takes months to recover from? Most importantly, do you guys think I should consider changing my trip plans?

It hasn't hit GC yet (about 9PM tonite) so I doubt anyone can tell you much yet. There's another thread about it here - you might also PM Alex777, he lives there and can likely provide a more realistic assesment tomorrow.

They're pretty resilient - it happens pretty often there, so unless something unexpected happens I'd wait out this weekend before I changed any plans.

In the past I've seen storms go over/by Cayman and they just move the boats to the Sound (protected) and fix the docks afterward. Except for that one (Ivan?) a few years ago in which they said the swells (briefly) covered the island completely, it did a lot of damage. But it was a Cat4 or Cat5 storm - last I saw Paloma's a Cat3.

It hasn't hit GC yet (about 9PM tonite) so I doubt anyone can tell you much yet. There's another thread about it here - you might also PM Alex777, he lives there and can likely provide a more realistic assesment tomorrow.

They're pretty resilient - it happens pretty often there, so unless something unexpected happens I'd wait out this weekend before I changed any plans.

In the past I've seen storms go over/by Cayman and they just move the boats to the Sound (protected) and fix the docks afterward. Except for that one (Ivan?) a few years ago in which they said the swells (briefly) covered the island completely, it did a lot of damage. But it was a Cat4 or Cat5 storm - last I saw Paloma's a Cat3.

I'm suppose to go to Cayman Brac one week from today. I may be calling them tomorrow and see how things are. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something but if your trip is about a month away, you'll probably be fine.

BDSC

As of 5:30am EST Paloma is now a cat. 4 storm with winds of 135mph and it right over Little Cayman and Cayman Brac. I hope for the best for those guys.

I'm suppose to go to Cayman Brac one week from today. I may be calling them tomorrow and see how things are. I'll let you know as soon as I hear something but if your trip is about a month away, you'll probably be fine

Hate to say it, but as of this morning's info, I doubt that the Brac will be back up in a week.

I'll post the update over on the other thread (URL above) in the Cayman subgroup.

-hh

Hate to say it, but as of this morning's info, I doubt that the Brac will be back up in a week.

I'll post the update over on the other thread (URL above) in the Cayman subgroup.

-hh

I think you're right. I just finished reading some reports on the internet and there was major damage to Little Cayman and the Brac. It may be weeks before they get anywhere close to being back to normal. I really feel for those folks and wish them the best.

BDSC

Awwe man, this sucks. Okay folks, I need some help. This is perhaps the last window I have to delay the trip. Should i or shouldn't I delay our trip there, set to arrive on GC on 12/6 and LC on 12/12. ???

It now appears that you might be OK for Grand Cayman, but I'd seriously consider re-scheduling/postponing the LC part of your itinerary. It's a pretty small island and has a limited infrastructure for dealing with repairs to buildings etc. like it appears will now be commencing.

There are several people who post here often that live on GC, C J's, (works/owns a diveop) Alex777, DrewSailbum and others. You might try to get their take on the situation on the ground there.

Later edit - check this thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/storm-watch/259892-hurricane-paloma.html

Try calling your resort directly Monday after they've had a chance to assess the damage. Seems to me that a phone call would give you all the answers needed instead of relying on speculation from people here. (including me!!)

my .02

Here in GC we did ok so if youre coming here youll be ok but LCM and the Brac have suffered extensively (reportedly half of Brac Reef has gone ) so i wouldnt plan on visiting any time soon

According to a report on StormCaribe, the Brac Reef Resort is a total loss (it appears that at least some resorts on Little Cayman fared better). I'm very sad as the Brac Reef is probably my favorite place on this planet. We've come to know a number of Brac'ers on our visits. You couldn't ask for a more hospitable group of people.

See below...

Hello,
My mother is Kathy Shroy one of the managers of Brac Reef Beach Resort. I have been in contact with her off and on over the past 6 hours. She said that Brac Reef is a total loss. What is still standing will have to be torn down.The Lobby, office, gift shop, spa, bar, and restaurant are all completely demolished. They lost the roof off of the top floor's rooms and have major damage to the bottom floor's rooms. The staff housing has roof damage but isn't too bad off.
The 30 tourists who stayed at the hotel are all fine the other 10 who went to a shelter are also safe. If you could post this on stormcarib for their families that would be great..They are planning to fly them out this afternoon as long as they can get the plane in.

Back
Top Bottom