Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.

Thread: Best place in Caribbean to swim with dolphins

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos

Question Best place in Caribbean to swim with dolphins

Hi Guys,
    Hoping to take my graduating daughter to swim with dolphins somewhere in the Caribbean. Never been to that part of the world before and would be very grateful for any advice. She's a non diver at present, but I hope to convince her to become a dive buddy.
    Looking forward to suggestions, and many thanks!

Photographer

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    1,000 - 2,499
    Photos
    Anthony's Key Resort(AKR) on Roatan has great dolphin activities thru the Institute of Marine Sciences(IMS) located on their property-----BUT---there was a coup of some sorts today of the Honduran government......Haven't talked to any of my friends on Roatan but I'm thinking it'll still be safe to go.........If I were you, I'd do some checking........good luck...
    Some of my UW pics:
    Canon S95,FIX,S&S110a http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w... CB 2011 pics/
    Canon A570IS & Canon housing http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w...er/UW PS Pics/
    .....GEAUX TIGERS.....BCS CHAMPS '03 & '07 & ??...........

Doc
    Was RoatanMan

Paint what you feel

Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year with 140# of dive gear. And now, for a running total of Water-logged
    Dives
    2,500 - 4,999
    Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by diver 85 View Post
    Anthony's Key Resort(AKR) on Roatan has great dolphin activities thru the Institute of Marine Sciences(IMS) located on their property-----BUT---there was a coup of some sorts today of the Honduran government......Haven't talked to any of my friends on Roatan but I'm thinking it'll still be safe to go.........If I were you, I'd do some checking........good luck...
    AKR has what you want.

Don't fret about the "coup". They do this all the time.

Life from reports on Roatan goes on as normal. A couple-three extra soldiers are sleeping at the airport.
    Doc Adelman PADI way before there was numbers
    ​............This is weird -> u/w micro pix .......................
    SeaDrops Plutonium: Refined from glistening beads of perspiration gently blotted from the downy
    naked inner thighs of our private stable of free-range virginSwedish Divemistresses.
    ..........................................(Demand it at your SCUBA retailer and pay the highest price~ this alone ensures it's better mask defogger than toothpaste)

IS IT SUMMER YET?

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    0 - 24
    Port lucaya in grand bahama..............Unexo (sp) My daughter(who was 12 at the time) and I swam with them 3 years ago if you look at my profile pic you will see a pic from that experience. i didnt dive then (nor did my daughter) so we just swam with them. it was an awesome experience that took place in a protected lagoon. I believe they also offer something out in the open ocean!!
    Last edited by DESIGNERDIVER; June 29th, 2009 at 08:37 AM.
    "I LOVE YOU, NOT FOR WHO YOU ARE, BUT WHO I AM WHEN I AM WITH YOU"

" I PREFER TO BE TRUE TO MYSELF,EVEN AT THE HAZARD OF INCURRING THE RIDICULE OF OTHERS,RATHER THAN TO BE FALSE AND TO INCUR MY OWN ABHORRENCE."

Regular of the Pub

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    my wife and i did the Anthony's Key dolphin encounter and it was wonderful

we snorkeled with them, rather than dive ... but it's great to be in the water with them

there's a pre-snorkel "show" where the dolphin does tricks and gets close to you, and you can pet them if they let you. our dolphin (his name was Ronnie) was great, and loved to be touched, so we had a great time
    all your brain are belong to us

Registered

Considering finally dipping my
    fins into SOCAL waters...

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    I've been to Anthony's Key and also recommend them. They have a dolphin encounter program in addition to snorkeling or diving with them. I have photos of AKR dolphins at the link below.

Not sure if you like boats but we just did a liveaboard with Explorer Ventures in the Bahamas, they have some wild dolphin charters coming up. They generally do two morning dives and in the afternoon they travel until they find dolphins. Usually you can snorkel with them (as explained to me by a crew member during our trip). Here's a link: Explorer Ventures: Adventures in Live-Aboard Diving

Registered

Needs underwater therapy!

Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    another vote for the dolphin program at Anthony's Key, Roatan. I haven't done it but a friend took her two daughters there a few years ago and they absolutely loved it.
    my trip reports and photos: www.rnrscuba.net
    my videos: http://www.vimeo.com/user466791/albums
    next trip: none - knee surgery for me, husband hip sugery this summer!

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    not a dive but the best dolphin encounter i could hope for is at discovery cove in orlando. Our whole family loved it and the park is awesome. They limit the number of people that come in and you are suppose to have reservations. I would check out discovery cove and then go diving somewhere else and not be disappointed if you don't see dolphin in the wild while diving.

Registered

is just being Sunshine

Currently Westpunt, Curacao NA Previously Goffstown, NH
    Dives
    200 - 499
    While in Roatan we didn't swim with the dolphins but did go twice to dive with the sharks - Cara Cara. Face to Face. I'm not sure about now, this was 4 years ago with some really fun former lawyers/Italian national kayak polo players. Plus I like the connection lawyers to sharks. The 1st time was to watch a feeding. Everything in the area comes out for the show. Small Sargent majors and groupers at least 20 inches long swimming right in front of you, close enough to rub their bellies. There were about 10 grey reef sharks, buy the video. David and I went back and swam with the sharks and one DM a few days later, very cool. It was just the 3 of us. One had a fish hook in his mouth and Maurilo swam beside it tugging it free, no video.
    In Belize we were lounging on one of the small cayes and watching our friends do a couple of exercises for their AOW when we noticed the dolphins playing with them. Unfortunately they had taken the boat just far enough away with my mask, fins and snorkel!
    Now that we are in Curacao no, I have yet to encounter dolphins in the wild but I hear about others all the time. That's just luck; to swim with a manta, whale shark or dolphin. Of course visiting divers dive far more times (a day!) than I do.
    Have her get her OW certification and you'll have more options.
    Boston, Almost forgot to ask; what's the difference between an HBO doc and an HMO doc? You play one on TV? SB names are fun like deciphering license plates while sitting in traffic.