Air-Travel to Dominica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

devonlas

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all! Relatively new diver here. Me and my fiance were planning a trip to Dominica and have found the forums to be an awesome font of knowledge. We've hit a speed bump, though, and that involves airtravel. Based on our searches, it looks like the flights out all have 14+ hour layovers in Puerto Rico...Are we missing something?? How have others gotten out to this island without massive layovers? Seeking your advice. :idk:

Dear Devonlas,
I just saw your thread as to your visit to Dominica. I would like to email at esavarinjr1@hotmail.com and I will do my very best based on where you are coming from in the US to see the best way in which I can assist you all in getting to Dominica the fastest possible way with much less layover time in Pueto Rico

I'm also interested in visiting Dominica the first week of April but all the flights have the long layovers in Puerto Rico. I'm flying from Detroit. Let me know if there's a better flight. Thanks!

Barry

What may not be possible for you is possible for other people starting from different airports. We will be going to Dominica from NYC (JFK) departing early in the AM, arr. San Juan before noon, then departing San Juan 2+ hr later for Dominica. A good schedule for us may not work for you.

If your origin is Denver, you could take US Airways Flight 498/905 @ 12:59am from Denver, CO (DEN) arr. San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) @ 11:25am (8hrs 26min - 1 Stop). Of course, the trade off is a 14 hr layover for a 12:59 AM departure time. Which is worse?

Dear Devonlas,
I believe what Imorin is saying would be the best way to go. The flight actually departs for Dominica at 1:35pm for a 1hr 30minutes flight to Dominica's Melville Hall Airport which is situated on the North East Coast of the island. Have you gotten a place (Hotel, Guess House, etc) to stay yet?

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions and ideas.

I'll have to try the NYC trip next year. Wussed out this year and am trying T&C--will have to give a trip report when we get back in February!

We had the same issue getting to Dominica and ended up biting the bullet and staying a night in Puerto Rico on the way there and back. It ended up being very cool, we got to see the sights and enjoy the nightlife in San Juan. Of course, this did add extra time and expense to the trip, but It was almost like having a nice weekend in Puerto Rico and a week in Dominica all in one trip.

I'd try for a stop into St Maarten, Antigua or Martinique then short hop local flight over. Should be better connections that way though maybe a bit more expensive that way.

Back
Top Bottom