Bohio vs Osprey: Grand Turk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My husband and I are looking for a 2 week trip in late October or early November. We visited Provo quite a few years ago (before Hurricane Ike) and spent the first week at the Comfort Suites and the second week on a Dancer livaboard.

We are not interested in going back to Provo but the livaboard diving off Grand Turk was great so we are thinking of doing a land-based vacation on Grand Turk. I have been reading the posts about Grand Turk and comments about both Osprey and Bohio hotels and they both sound nice, so I'd appreciate some advice about which hotel and dive operations most likely to suit our needs and preferences.

We would want a hotel room with a full-kitchen, or an apartment, or a meal plan with good food, because I remember that the restaurants were very expensive.

We are getting older, I have a bad back and my husband has shoulder problems so we have come to appreciate valet diving, but we are not crazy about cattle boats and mandatory guided dives. We enjoy shore diving but with an easy entrance and exit.

Which hotel and dive operation would you recommend for picky old folks like us?

How is the water temperature and conditions in late Oct and early Nov?

Is it worthwhile to rent a car to tour the island?

Thanks so much for your advice! We only get one dive trip per year so we want to make it a good one!

---------- Post Merged on July 5th, 2012 at 07:11 AM ---------- Previous Post was on July 4th, 2012 at 02:49 PM ----------

My husband thinks that my list of preferences above is too exacting and demanding. Just to clarify, these are our "ideal" vacation wishes, we are willing to compromise. I just listed them to try and find out which of the 2 venues, Bohio or Osprey, would be the closest fit for us. Thanks in advance for your advice!

I would definitely vote for Bohio as everything is in one spot so no need to carry around heavy dive gear, it’s all loaded, unloaded and rinsed for you each day. They have an onsite restaurant which is the best on the island and two great bars. The managers and staff are very helpful and friendly and took care of all of our needs, it has a small intimate resort feel. Hiring a car is not really necessary but if you want to go off and explore on your own then you can hire and one day should suffice to see the island. Most places are within walking distance (20 minutes or so into town) but the port is a 15 minute drive away for the higher end shops. Some rooms have a kitchenette but mostly we ended up eating in the restaurant as it was so good. They have all inclusive packages which include breakfast and lunch which are good value. The water is warm all year round, it will be about 80F. Hope this helps!

I would definitely vote for Bohio as everything is in one spot so no need to carry around heavy dive gear, it’s all loaded, unloaded and rinsed for you each day. They have an onsite restaurant which is the best on the island and two great bars. The managers and staff are very helpful and friendly and took care of all of our needs, it has a small intimate resort feel. Hiring a car is not really necessary but if you want to go off and explore on your own then you can hire and one day should suffice to see the island. Most places are within walking distance (20 minutes or so into town) but the port is a 15 minute drive away for the higher end shops. Some rooms have a kitchenette but mostly we ended up eating in the restaurant as it was so good. They have all inclusive packages which include breakfast and lunch which are good value. The water is warm all year round, it will be about 80F. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much!

Hi all, I want to resurrect this thread. We are choosing between the Bohio and Osprey and could use some first hand experience/advice. Like an early November trip.

Thanks!

We did neither, however the Bohio is not in the centre of what little action there is on Grand Turk. Osprey is right at the start of Duke st with 3 dive operators, the Sandbar and other restaurants nearby. The Canadian girls at the Sandbar also rent cottages I believe. We stayed at the Aquahouse, a few mins drive to the south.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I stayed at Bohio back in '06 when a different dive operator was there. It's a small resort with a beautiful white sand beach. Very private. At the height of day, there could be 2 people on it. Rooms are nice, clean but not special. If the same chef is there, the food is 4-5 star quality. There are a few dogs on the resort, all friendly. I believe some are owned and some are stray but "kept". Short walk to town. If you snorkel in front of the resort, you may see a spotted eagle ray... I did and followed it for a good 200 ft before turning off. It is a known route for them. Not sure what has changed, but I would go back.

DSCF0821.jpg DSCF0822.jpg DSCF0826.jpg DSCF0829.jpg DSCF0830.jpg DSCF0833.jpg

DSCF0890.jpg DSCF0891.jpg DSCF0927.jpg

Divin dog. Thanks That's great Info. We have stressful jobs and being slightly away from center of town has appeal! Great pics too!!!!

My question would be - which has the most shade for a non-diver to read/relax while the divers are out diving?

I would be out diving. Shade is for the bar after diving is done :wink:

Divin dog. Thanks That's great Info. We have stressful jobs and being slightly away from center of town has appeal! Great pics too!!!!

If you want to get away from it all, this is the place. No one bothers you. It is a pleasant, short walk into town if you want to explore. People are very friendly. This place is what I see on magazine covers... It's a small resort so you will probably get to know most people staying there for the week. The 2 buildings in pic #7 above show the bar (on left) which is open air and also has plenty of room to sit under a roof for shade. The building on the right is the dive shack with gear stowage space etc.

All the rooms are in the buildings in pic#6 which is 1-2 min walk to the bar, dive shack, main restaurant.

Not sure what the weather will be in Nov. I stayed in April. The weather was suuuunny! And hot! Had some fierce showers as we were leaving on our last day there.

For DeputyDan, see pics for shady area with tables and hammock. There's plenty of areas just off the beach where you can sit under the shade of a tree but still be in the sand. The bar is just a few steps away for a drink. That's me in the last pic in the afternoon which is part of the bar area... Now I want to go back!

DSCF0844.jpg DSCF0901.jpg DSCF0914.jpg DSCF0917.jpg DSCF0924.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF0830.jpg
    DSCF0830.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 243
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom