Grand Turk for non-diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scorow

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We've been to Provo and Grand Cayman a couple of times and really enjoyed it. My college-aged kids and I dive, but my wife doesn't. However, there was sufficient snorkeling and good beach hanging-out for her to enjoy those trips as well.

We're trying to think of a new destination that would keep everyone happy. Grand Turk looks like a fun place to try for divers, but how is it for snorkeling, beaches, restaurants, etc.? Not looking for night life, just things to keep a non-diver happy both while we dive and on the days that we do not.

Any thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated.

If not diving it could get pretty boring on Grand Turk . Then the cruise ships come in and annoy you while enjoying the quiet beach . No restaurants to choose from , I think there are two on the Island . I slept when not diving .

We just came back from Bohio on Grand Turk. I dove 7 days and my wife hung out at the beach, read, snorkeled while I was out. Usually dove between 9 and 1. My wife enjoyed the peace and we would both do it again. She even spotted whales from the beach. Would someone else like it? Can't say but we did. On the other hand when, when I take my son's we go to Mexico.

We did 2 weeks over the Christmas school holiday. We are all divers and found our afternoons a little boring. Beaches are ok, only one really good restaurant and it can get crowded with cruisers. I would stick to Provo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We spent the first week of Feb this yr on Grand Turk and loved it. we really like it. I dove, the wife did not. At Osprey beach, you have a lovely, non-crowded beach. There were 2 weddings on the beach that week. The water is extremely clear so you can just stand in waist deep and watch fish if desired or snorkel. Short walk to town and a few places to eat - I think we visited 4 places to eat. There are shade trees or sun on the beach, depending what you prefer. We like the shade. No need for a car but a bike would be handy. We walked to the grocery, to town and shops in the aftn. Bohio is further away so walking to town and places to eat is a bit far.
Did you like (a) the west side of G. Cayman on 7 mile beach or (b) the east side where it is lightly populated?
Do you like (a) shopping in new buildings that might remind you of a shopping area in the US or (b) in a quaint bldg from the 1800's converted to a shop?
Do you want (a) people passing on the beach and a long beach to walk or (b) empty, shorter beaches with perhaps 2 people within a 1/4 mile and crystal clear water?
Do you prefer to eat (a) in new construction bldgs that have menu's not so different than home, with table clothes and taking credit cards or (b) small places where the owner greets you in person to seat you and dining might have a sleeping dog in the place?
Do you prefer a grocery on vacation that is (a) like Bob's IGA on Provo or (b) some place that looks unique and different than home but you can find most things you desire?

If you choose (a) to the above, Grand Turk might not be for you.
If you prefer (b), then G.T. is a place you might really like.

Everyone has an opinion but sticking to Provo for more action is reasonable advice, but sticking to Provo because GT was too crowded at times is a contradiction. We enjoyed watching the cruisers and only on 1 day out of 10 could one consider the beach crowded. That day we walked to town and had lunch elsewhere. It is a very good place to dive and relax.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom