where to go for next Caribbean dive trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swim deep

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We loved Little Cayman and the exceptional service of Reef Divers at LCBR. We love the Cane Bay Wall shore dive and the boat dives of St Croix, USVI. We enjoyed a boat dive when we were in Cozumel. We have been diving in Tortola BVI, and we lived in and dove Puerto Rico quite a bit. We live in Florida now, and enjoy Palm Beach area diving as often as we can.
So, where should we go next? We prefer the Caribbean, as we don't care for excessively long flights and our budget has it's limits. We would like to try a new destination, but we think we may have been spoiled by Little Cayman Beach Resort. Maybe no other Caribbean destination can come close?
I am a beginning UW photographer, but we have been diving for a long time.
Is there anything to rival the beauty and the ease of Little Cayman and St. Croix's walls?

I'd have to say probably not. That said if I were you I would check into Bonaire. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's probably the best blend of everywhere else you have dove.

I consider Little Cayman Beach Resort to be outrageously expensive! Sure, flights to Asia aren't cheap and flights are long (take a sleeping pill).
But once there, the diving, food and accomodations are very inexpensive Once you dive Indo you will never want to go back to The Carribean again.

For some people, it's going to be hard to top LCBR for all around Caribbean goodness. In many ways Bonaire is the antithesis of LCBR, so unclear if it would actually be for you (FWIW, we love LCBR but have little interest in returning to Bonaire at this point.)

What was it that you liked about LCBR besides "exceptional service" (which itself could mean different things to different people.) I take it you like walls, and convenient/easy diving? What else appealed? You might also like Compass Point/Ocean Frontiers on Grand Cayman - one less flight, nice condos, good dive sites, convenient boat diving with great service.

Have you considered liveaboards?

Maybe Turneffe Island Resort in Belize? Which I haven't been to yet, but get the sense it might appeal to people that like LCBR (perhaps someone who's been to both could comment on that.)

I agree about Indo-Pacific. If you can get past the length of the flights, in some places you may find you can get better diving and a overall budget friendly trip.

Cozumel (if you like drift diving), grand Turk for laid back diving, cocoview on Roatan, Aruba, curaçao, bequia, Saba, cayman brac, explorer live aboard in t&c, dancer live aboard in Belize, Bonaire for great macro photo (very few walls).

There are lots of options.

What did we like about LCBR? We liked the Reef Divers "valet diving" with the boats at the dock just a few steps from great food, beautiful setting and beachfront rooms. The tiny island seemed so natural, but mostly the clear waters and reefs/walls bursting with life and color were super fantastic. It's not cheap, but we loved it.
Can a dive trip to the Indo-Pacific really be as high quality for less cost? Where would you recommend to me?
I don't have any fear of flying, I like it, but I find it impossible to be comfortable in the airplane beyond a few hours. No way I can sleep sitting up on a plane, not even with sleep aids.
I would love to hear from someone about the Turneffe Island Resort in Belize.
Especially if they can compare it to LCBR.

What did we like about LCBR? We liked the Reef Divers "valet diving" with the boats at the dock just a few steps from great food, beautiful setting and beachfront rooms. The tiny island seemed so natural, but mostly the clear waters and reefs/walls bursting with life and color were super fantastic. It's not cheap, but we loved it.
Can a dive trip to the Indo-Pacific really be as high quality for less cost? Where would you recommend to me?
I don't have any fear of flying, I like it, but I find it impossible to be comfortable in the airplane beyond a few hours. No way I can sleep sitting up on a plane, not even with sleep aids.
I would love to hear from someone about the Turneffe Island Resort in Belize.
Especially if they can compare it to LCBR.

try a live aboard.

Some that might be of interest - some cost about the same - some more.

Anse Chastenet on St. Lucia
Bohio Dive Resort on Grand Turk
Cobalt Coast Resort on Grand Cayman
Compass Point on Grand Cayman - East End

Belize:
Turneffe Island Resort
Hamanasi Resort- upscale
Blackbird Caye Resort
Thatch Caye Resort
Something on Ambergris Caye

Anthony's Key Resort - Roatan
Barefoot Cay on Roatan
Utopia Village on Utila
Laguna Beach Resort on Utila

Lodge Kura Hulanda - Curacao.
Lions Dive on Curacao

Bonaire
Buddy Dive
Harbour Vilage - upscale
Plaza Resort
Divi Flamingo

Bolongo Bay on St. Thomas

I would recommend Reef House Resort in Roatan as a possibility. I really liked the place. It is not fancy or upscale by any means but the rooms were clean and comfortable, the food very good but not the variety you get at Little Cayman, and the diving was great. You are diving an area that few other operations on Roatan dive and Davit, the DM, was one of the best I have ever had. I think he found maybe 12 to 15 seahorses that week. That would make for some great photo opportunities. It is also reasonably priced.

I have been to many many places in the Caribbean and for me, the standard to compare all else to is the Little Cayman Beach Resort. I doubt you will top that place in the Caribbean. As for going to the far side of the world, I have heard folks say that once you dive Indo or the Philippines you'll never want to go back to the Caribbean. I didn't find that to be the case at all. I loved diving there and I saw a lot of things I don't see in the Caribbean but I was not blown away by it. I think sometimes people feel that way because they are seeing creatures they have not seen by just diving the Caribbean. It's great and I will go back but the Caribbean has a lot to offer and the ease of getting there is hard to beat.

Back
Top Bottom