Bahamas vs Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigRedDiver1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I may be traveling with my girlfriend to somewhere warm this next winter (trying to escape ohio's cold). I'm just curious as to how the Bahama's compare to Grand Cayman? She is a non diver but may be interested in getting certified by then. Also want some land activities to do too.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Bahamas comprises hundreds of islands, at least 10 of which are well on the diver radar. If you're talking about the islands that are easiest to get to, such as Grand Bahama and New Providence (where Nassau is), that would narrow it down so people could more easily make comparisons. Also, what kind of "land activities" are you interested in? That would help to know.

Well probably the easiest to get to would be best. And as for the other things to do I would like to do some kayaking and have some other attractions that might interest the woman.

The water in the Bahamas will be a good deal colder in the winter. If you can normally dive the tropical Caribbean without a wet suit, this will impact you there.

How much of an issue would a shark dive be? From what I understand, you're more likely to see sharks in the Bahamas.

It might be helpful to compare providers, as well as islands. I'd ready trip reports from Cobalt Coast and Sunset House in Grand Cayman, and Stuart's Cove in the Bahamas (unless you're after a live-aboard, in which case the AquaCat is where I'd look, but I'm sensing you guys won't likely pick a live-aboard as yet).

Richard.

Well probably the easiest to get to would be best. And as for the other things to do I would like to do some kayaking and have some other attractions that might interest the woman.
"Easiest to get to" may only be best at being easiest to get to. While there are exceptions, frequently better diving is found places that aren't the easiest to get to. So it all depends on your priorities.

"some other attractions that might interest the woman" still does not tell us anything...I like kayaking too. :wink: I have to say, I've rarely been at a tropical dive destination that didn't have some sort of kayaking available.

I may be traveling with my girlfriend to somewhere warm this next winter (trying to escape ohio's cold). I'm just curious as to how the Bahama's compare to Grand Cayman? She is a non diver but may be interested in getting certified by then. Also want some land activities to do too.

Thanks!

They both have 1 thing in common. They are the among the most expensive places to go in the Caribbean.

There are many more options available, but it all depends what land activities you are interested in. Like to hike? Try Dominica!

Two things - lots of cruise ships...

Also want some land activities to do too.

On a cruise ship stop in Grand Cayman, I visited the Turtle Farm and had a dolphin encounter.

Elsewhere on the forum you can read about concerns about how captive dolphins are treated, that's a debate I don't plan to veer off into, just saying those are a couple of options and we had fun with them.

Richard.

P.S.: In terms of what there is to do on an island, a couple of ways to research are to use Trip Advisor, and go to a cruise ship website like Royal Caribbean's, look up a cruise there and take a look at the Shore Excursions listing for that island.

We dove Bahamas (New Providence/Nassau and Exuma) and Grand Cayman. As far as diving goes, I like Grand Cayman better. The Bahamas has alot of sand but lot's of sharks. I did not get to dive a wall off Long Island when there due to weather and at least that dive was touted as better. The "sand" dives were shallower and longer but life I found was sparse. Off Exuma at least there are blue holes to dive if that is what you like. I thought it was cool. There is a tugboat wreck in good shape.

The Bond wrecks I dove off New Providence were becomming piles of rubble so not great. As said before, the water can be cooler in the winter. We were there in early January with a cold front moving through all week. The air and water temps were 64F with high winds causing larger waves which did cancel few am dives. We stayed in Exuma later in the year and had much better surface and water temps. If I plan a winter trip I generally don't go to the Bahamas (once was enough) but you could get lucky and have great weather.
It can take longer to get to the outer islands (Exuma) however we did get a direct Miami to Exuma flight going in.

In Exuma there is the Thunderball grotto which I think can be at least snorkeled and there is a beach with swimming pigs. There didn't seem to be much else to do in Exuma but since we dove everyday I did not spend much time investigating. There were not alot of restaurants. I will say the beaches in Exuma was fantastic - better than GC's Seven Mile IMO. We did stay at Sandals but dove with an outside dive op since Sandals diving kinda sucks. The outside dive op - Dive Exuma- was expensive (like $180/two tanks). Per their website they now charge $140.

There are alot of islands in the Bahamas and I've only been to two. If you like the Bahamas do alot of research on the different islands.

Grand Cayman diving was better IMO with closer walls, tongue/groove reefs and we did dive stingray city. We used Don Foster's at the time but it's been quite some time since we've been there. There was quite a bit to do there - lot's of restaurants, Seven Mile beach, turtle farm, we went to Hell to send a postcard, and took a trip across the sound to see Barefoot Man play (not sure if he is still around or not) and walked around town shopping. I found Grand Cayman to be more expensive than the Bahamas in general especially for meals but the Bahamas was not cheap either.

If I had to choose, it would be Grand Cayman. You might look at locations further south in the winter for warmer weather and water temps. Unfortunately if you want alot of topside activities it usually means a higher population and probably cruise ships so secluded but beautiful islands have less topside offerings (aside from natural attractions).

I am interested in doing a shark dive or two but it doesn't sound like the Bahamas would be that great during the winter months. I think we might look at grand cayman and crunch some numbers. Thanks everybody for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom