Agressor fleet. Cayman vs Turks and caicos? What time of year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Best time not to go is July thru mid October--------higher chances of hurricanes then.....

And, I'd think of Cayman over T&C.......JMHO on the latter--fact on the 1st part,....... though

I've dove Grand Cayman from shore and more recently the Turks/Caicos Explorer. Both are equally good wall diving. I personally think T/C was slightly better in terms of bigger pelagics. At French Cay and West Caicos we saw multiple sharks on every single dive. Equal numbers of turtles and sting rays. More Eagle Rays off Cayman's north wall. More turtles near the Turtle Farm. Smaller stuff, coral formations seemed about the same on either. Once you get out over a 6000' wall, it really doesn't matter much where it is. Maybe the coral was slightly more profuse off the Turks/Caicos. Some of that might be that West Caicos, French Cay and several other Caicos are also uninhabited so only visited by LOB's or dayboats from Provo. A lot of West Side Grand Cayman diving has suffered from the 50ish operators that dive it daily IMO.

You might consider Explorer instead of Aggressor also. The boats are configured differently - the advantages for us were that there's an extra public level on Explorer. They have a covered flybridge up top that has bench seating, tables and stocked drinks. I even slept up there a couple days. And most of the cabins on Explorer are main deck or the one above it. And have beds not bunks. If you're a couple, it's a queen bed. Our room had two single beds with storage underneath, a night stand, a desk in the corner and enough room to open the door. And two good sized windows. On Aggressor it's all double/triple bunks with portholes. All are one deck level down. With the flat screens in every room. Only 3 cabins are bunks on Explorer - one deck down.

I liked walking from my room to the dining room/lounge then out the door to the dive deck. Downside is that if you have a loud crowd (we did) they keep you up at night. Food was excellent although I'm sure it is on Aggressor also. Both boats do the same itinerary - at least twice during our trip I saw Aggressor nearby. At one site off West Caicos, I swam under it on the way back to our boat. All the moorings are close to shore with the wall farther out so both boats do similar dives. One unusual thing is that Explorer really swings on it's mooring. If you miss it, you wait for it to come around again 5mins. later. You almost can't catch it - I tried once.

I don't know which trip is clearly better. Maybe Cayman Aggressor if they make the run over to the Sisters because you've got the Tibbetts off Brac and Bloody Bay Wall off LC. The closest thing to a wreck we saw off T/C was a big diesel engine. And ThunderDome an abandoned set of structures used once to film a TV show. That failed because people were getting bent while playing. Sort of several big open domes in about 40-50' Boring....

But the Cayman crossing doesn't always happen - sometimes it's too rough. Mostly that seems to be in the Winter. Review some of their trip reports in their thread here because they comment when they couldn't. When that's the case, CA circumnavigates GC - many of the dives they do I've done off dayboats. Their last dive, Devils Grotto, we've done from shore in Georgetown harbor at Eden Rock. So then it becomes more convenience. (and price) I don't think you could do as many dives off Grand Cayman without more driving and a higher overall cost.

From a shore-based perspective both seemed equally pricey. And both have great beaches. More nightlife on Grand Cayman but not by much. From what I've read Both Sister Islands are really quiet. And Grand Turk when there's no cruise ships in port. That seemed to be daily in Georgetown on GC also - that was annoying since some of the dives are downtown/near downtown. Driving is on the other side and they don't look before stepping off the curb into traffic.

There's no shore diving off Provo - reef is about 500 yds. offshore at NW Point - the closest spot. I only spent two days and one night on Provo but it seemed more pleasant. Seven Mile Beach has been called little Miami Beach - areas can be pretty crowded. All the dive resorts are OK though, Cobalt Coast is too far north to be busy, Sunset House is south of Georgetown and the Reef or Ocean Frontiers/Compass Point are 45mins. drive east. Afaik the only dive resort in the Turks/Caicos is Bohol on Grand Turk. Both Islands have dive operators who will pick you up at most resorts and take you to their boats. And of course there's Stingray City on Grand Cayman. And now the Kittiwake.

One last thing is that both T/C boats follow the Humpbacks to the Silver Banks in winter. Those are snorkel only trips. So LOB diving there starts around the 1st week of April.

hth,

Last edited:
Get on their mailing list. Periodically they offer $4-500 off pp. on certain weeks. We got a better room doing that for the same money.

We have been on the Cayman Aggressor and the T&C Aggressor and we enjoyed them both but our favorite was the Cayman Aggressor, the boat was a little nicer and the food was a little better. But they were both nice trips.

A lot depends on the weather, we were lucky on both trips. We spent most of the Cayman trip diving the Bloody Bay wall off of Little Cayman and it was gorgeous. We also dived the Russian Destroyer off of Cayman Brac and a few nice dives off of Grand Cayman. But the next week the weather turned bad and the Aggressor was forced to stay close to GC and not far off-shore.

We also had good weather on the T&C Aggressor and were able to dive off of West Caicos and French Cay and the walls were gorgeous. We saw large animals including sharks on just about every dive.

I would recommend both boats and venues!

We did an Explorer trip to Saba but not T&C so I cannot comment, but the Saba trip was lovely.

Last edited:
Hey diversteve, their mailing lists are a good way to get posted on current savings. As an FYI, we honour all the liveaboard deals and we usually discount on top of that. Now that's a good deal…!

I have been on both T&C Aggressor and the Cayman Aggressor. The boats' layouts are very similar and so there is little to choose between them.

But the crew of T & C Aggressor win by a country mile and then some. That is not so say that there is anything wrong with the Cayman Aggressor crew - they are quite good. But the T & C team, spearheaded by the attractive Captain Amanda Smith, work so brilliantly as a team that no other crew of the 16 liveaboard cruises that I have been come even close.

As to the time of the year, I went to Caymans in January and was very lucky to reach the BBW. March & April are the best dive months there according to the locals.

T & C are quite good November to April but then I was told that there was a very small 'window' in late May - very early June when the diving conditions would be ideal - a sort of lull before the hurricane season. I went then and the conditions were really great. There was cloud cover outside but the water was like a warm millpond with superb visibility throughout and we saw in excess of 100 sharks in that week. Plenty of colourful coral and smaller critters too.

We just got back from
Belize and are trying to decide between cayman and Turks. Ideas? What time of year is best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been lucky enough to do both. They are both very very good imho. Turks had more sharks, bloody Bay wall is spectacular. You can't go wrong with either one unless weather is terrible...
This vid was from Turks this August;
Turks & Caicos - YouTube

Have fun!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom