Cayman Brac info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BUDMANOK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We will be visiting the Brac later this year. We are flying Delta Airlines to Grand Cayman and then taking the Cayman Airways Otter to the Brac. Had to do it this way as I'm using points for the Delta flight

couple of questions regarding this.

do you have to go through customs in GC and collect your bags and then go back through the security to catch the flight to Brac?

How is the flight on the otter aircraft? never been on a prop plane before so I'm wondering about the flight.

is there a map available for shore diving? best dive sites? restaurants?

We are renting a condo with kitchen so where is the grocery store?

Thanks

Yes. You clear customs and get your bags. You then check your luggage at Cayman Air. Then you go through security and check with customs (very brief). It usually is not a big deal. The waiting area is not very large so waiting for your flight is not that much fun.

The otters are old, serviceable aircraft. The flight is about 20 minutes at say 5000'. The otters are not that big but I have been in all sorts of strange small planes cessna of various kinds, twin beech, DC3 and a number of others. The flight is fine. Prop planes often ride very nicely.

When end I was at Brac, I stayed an dived at cayman Brac beach resort. There is a pier on the north side where you can shore dive. It is a decent swim out to the tibbetts but it can probably be done. I understand that there are a number of shore dive entry sites on the island. There are some very good wall dives there. There are also a number of dive operators. You might want to try some boat dives.

As I recall, there are a couple of stores at the west end of the island. I think you can get a fair amount of stuff. Remember, this is sort of an out island. You are not going to have a whole foods or a large modern super market. But if you are flexible, you should be fine.

thanks very much. just what I was looking for

Time saving tip in GC...when arriving and walking into customs, stay to the right and tell the customs agent you are headed over to the Brac. That should trim a fair amount of time, especially if your connection is short.

Best restaurants would be the Tipsy Turtle and the Captain's Table. At the Captain's Table always ask for lionfish. It tastes great and you might get lucky if they have some. When you arrive on the Brac your first stop should be the market. There is one just a block outside of the airport. Get your coffee, drinks, etc. right away and remember all the markets are closed on Sunday.

Shore diving is now marked all over the island by "dive flag" rocks. You cannot miss them. Really good access on the north side of the island.

Enjoy.

thanks for the replies. here are a couple more questions.

do you drag a flag along with you on your dives or do you anchor it at entry/exit point?

how easy are the entry / exits on the shore dives? we may have a new diver with us.

I had the same question as BUDMANOK about dive flags. Also any suggestions on a good travel flag would be appreciated. We will be there in January for 5 weeks and want to do shore diving. need a compact flag as we wont have much room with all gear and stuff for 5 weeks.
Thanks
Tom

I think Brac Scuba Shack has a few flags. I'm not sure you rent or they let you use them when you rent the tanks. I like to surface swim and hook buoy up to prevent the dive boats from sniping my spot. Usually the boats don't stray from West End, so on the east end dives, leave the buoy on shore and swim deep out to spots with a compass reading. There is a little boat traffic and staying low keeps you out of the props. Plus, I've noticed the fisherman do their own thing anyhow. Let me know if you need a flag mine is always next to house, go for it.

Entry to sites is easy everywhere but Heritage reef and Southeast spots like Rock Monster. Usually swells and sharp rocks. It looks worse than it actually is. The best wall in the Caymans is right off the Great Cave turnaround(IMO) West end has the fringe reef, but public beach has a swim out. It is a longish swim to the drop off(maybe 1/4 mile) . Heritage has Sea urchins and my face print so I don't like it any more. Everyone loves Buccaneer, Ninas Mini wall, and one of my favorites Sylvia's Reef. However, Greenhouse and Radar have a few rocks to stumble through. But all are easy no stress dives.

Have fun

We will be visiting the Brac later this year...
do you have to go through customs in GC and collect your bags and then go back through the security to catch the flight to Brac?

yes.

How is the flight on the otter aircraft? never been on a prop plane before so I'm wondering about the flight.

its not bad if you get a seat inside the cabin. Its tougher when you're on standby and they bungee cord you under a wing, especially on rainy days. FYI, do expect that only the tiniest of carry-on bags will go inside the cabin - most will be gate checked. Also be VERY aware of their weight restriction rules for checked baggage .. they made me pull out ~3 lbs that I was overweight on a 50lb bag (and "hide" it in my carry-on...go figure). Also be aware that GCM's security checkpoint is horribly overcrowded - - pay attention to the size of the line and leave yourself extra-extra time to get through security into the waiting lounge.

is there a map available for shore diving? best dive sites?

Here's my old one, with descriptions (a bit dated). In general, you'll find people will recommend Radar & Buccaneer...these are old sites that are well known. FYI, its also a reasonably good idea to dive with a dive flag, since officially they're required.

FYI, I have a newer 'Total Island Map' on Google Maps here .. it covers restaurants, markets, etc too.

restaurants?

Not really that much. I believe that the current status of the Alexander hotel is that Dilbert might have shut it back down again (money+politics); if its open, the restaurant there is one of the best on the island. There's also Captain's Table and the bar at Brac Reef as what's on our short list...for local (pedantic: Jamaican) food, I'd check to see if Aunt Sha's is open & running...things changed there last year.

We are renting a condo with kitchen so where is the grocery store?

There's three (3) major ones and during your stay, you'll probably get to all three, as what they stock (and don't stock) varies:

Marketplace - at Tibbet's Square (north side, cross-island road near the airport)
Billy's - north side, around a mile east of Tibbet's Square (2 miles west of Stake Bay)
Kirkconnell's - north side, Stake Bay

Personally, I put Billy's & Marketplace above Kirkconnell's. Don't be too surprised at the slim pickings in comparison to USA markets...for example, I think the only place we've found Greek style Yogurt is at Marketplace. FYI, the supply ship usually arrives on IIRC Wednesdays, so fresher stuff will be stocked on Thursdays.

Finally, be aware that liquor stores are closed on Sundays. Similarly, a lot of stuff doesn't have late night hours.

Hope this helps,

-hh

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom