Snapping/Shocking Coral, Tiny Creature, or . . . ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hawkans

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'd like to identify what it was that twice flicked or shocked me while snorkeling in Culebra, a small island off the coast of Puerto Rico. I believe in hands-off diving and snorkeling, but nonetheless there were some times where I had to pinch a portion of (coral-covered?) mossy, greenish rock or place a bare foot against it for support in a current while trying to photograph a small creature/etc. In the waters of two different beaches, something in the coral (or rock/moss) made a loud snapping sound and gave me what felt like a hard flick or electric-bug-zapper shock. The first time it happened was on the bottom side of my heel, and the second time, a day or two later, was on my pointer finger. It didn't cause any injury, but it did hurt a little. I have attached a screen shot of a photo I took, to give an idea of the environment.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-07-15 at 12.00.55 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-07-15 at 12.00.55 PM.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 86
Nothing to see in the picture but from the description, I'd guess Pistol Shrimp.

Damsel fish are pretty good at taking small bites if you encroach on their turf, but that does not explain the popping sound. I wouldn't go stepping on the rocks again. You are lucky that's all that happened. Stone fish and Urchins can produce nasty injuries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom